pick ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick ups

Hi my first tme here looks like a great place. What does anyone know about the bare knuckle war pig does it live up to the hype.

Funny you asked.

Personally I think BKP's are overpriced. I would not have owned one if it weren't for my getting one free with the purchase of an ESP Horizon at GC. The pickup was in the case and went with the guitar. I'm guessing the owner tried it and didn't like it, because the pickup in the guitar was a Screamin Demon. I swapped that for a Custom Custom, but that's another story.

I can tell it's a warpig by the DC resistance, but I'm not sure if the magnet is ceramic or Alnico V.

I put the pickup in a project HM Strat. It's the ugly pink with maple fretboard. I got it for $100 used with messed up wiring. There are a pair of Aria Pro II rail pickups for the singles. The guy I bought it from said these were made / designed by Bill Lawrence.

That said, I'm not sure if it's the guitar or the pickup or just dumb luck, but out of 30 guitars including 4 LPs and 3 USA Jacksons, this is one of my favorite sounding and playing guitars.

I don't know, don't really care, but the mutt just sounds and plays awesome. It nails Maiden, Dio (either Vivian or Goldie), and a whole lot more. It just sounds huge when I play it, but not muddy.

It might just be the guitar, because the rail pickups sound good just like the warpig.

So to answer your question, does the warpig live up to the hype? It does in this guitar.

Comment

war pig

Thanks bud. I'm building a model 3a that i just picked up for $80 off of craigs list with the chainsaw hard case. The guitar color is damm near pink real nasty for a factory color but thats easily changed I want to put something just brutal in it for a pick up and after reading about the war pig it sounds like the greatest thing ever for the style I play Pantera,Slayer type stuff. I am open to other suggestions also thanks again

Comment

I do play Pantera, but haven't tried on this guitar. I have a 1995 RR1 when they came OEM with BL USA pickups, and those nail Dimebag's tone dead on. I like this guitar for playing old Metallica as well. And oddly enough, it sounds good playing Maiden, so I guess there is a lot of similarities between these pickups.

I guess I could see this pickup doing that tone as well. Not too sure about Slayer.

Just remember the guitar and amp have a lot to do with it. I don't want you wasting you money on what I said, so let me just say it works really well with what I like to play - old school metal.

Your Charvel is similar in build to my HM Strat - bolt on, floating bridge. I think both have basswood bodies. Mine has a maple fretboard; I'm guessing yours has a rosewood. Mine has a wierd scale length (25.1") vs. a normal 25.5".

Comment

well thanks again brother for the feed back i guess some experiments are in order. If it does'nt work in this one i have others to try it in. p.s im on a quest to own every model 6 ever made if you have one to sell im interested thanks

Comment

Working...
          X