DiMarzio Super3, DP152 vs J152

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Super3, DP152 vs J152

I figured I wanted some of the P'ups qualities of my Koa SD reissue II in my RR1, so I dropped a Super3 in my RR
    (Though the catalogs claim the SDII has a "custom Dimarzio P'up")

Now in the SD, the tone is Midrange grind to the max, with a VERY tight bass, subdued highs
    and extremely compressed gain
    If you're talking chunks: this guy hits the toilet!

The RR with it's JB was ice-picky on top, upper mids, and somewhat mushy in the bass (esp. with palmmutes), towards fizzy in the game
    With the Super3 installed it traded in upper mids for a bit more lower mids, highs were rolled off a bit
    Anyway, my RR's gotten a bit creamier and chunkier, but still would love to tighten up it's bottom

I know tonal qualities would never be the same: Bolt on/Neckthru, maple and koa/maple and alder, Strat shape/RR shape, etc
    But I'm really beginning to wonder if the 'J'152 (as stated on the baseplate) S3 of the SDII
    is the same as the retail 'DP'152

Tonewise an RR1 might be a bit flabby in the bass(?), Certainly it's nowhere near as mid-heavy as koa
    The 'DP' S3 sounds as if it has much more gain, gets fizzy, the compression is nowhere to be found
    and gainstructure should be a P'up characteristic right?

Now if I could get a readout with a multimeter (guess what I don't have atm) I would be sure

Don't know if anyone can confirm my suspicions
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

No idea.

All I know is that I picked up a Super3 for restoring an HM Strat, but the BKP Warpig that got in there first is doing the job great. I'll need to find some other axe for the Super3.

Comment

one being neck thru and one being bolt on will change the tonal characteristics, but certainly the pots in each guitar will change the tone a lot if not more.

check the pot values in each guitar, with the super3 in the RR1 you could probably go up to a 1 meg pot or a 500k pot that actually reads 500k or close (good luck) and your not going to get ice picky highs out of that pup.

Comment

I have had the super 3 in several guitars and didn't like until I got a SDII, where it rocks. I would go with the super distortion a little less in the mids more in the highs and is much higher in the bass.

Comment

Well, gonna see about those pots, maybe take the tone out of the line
          (though it's actually wired as bleeder)
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I love the SIII, I have it in several guitars.
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

i agree with Rich#6. i'd swap it out for a regular Super Distortion.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
              X