I need too set my guitar up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need too set my guitar up

I realized today i need to set up my guitar, because im not liking the way its playing.. what would you suggest i do first? should i mess with the tension of the springs in the back? and i also want to lock my floyd and have a piece of wood.. what size does it need to be cut down too.. too fit in my 04 dk2? so if this post doesnt sound right or something lil out of it atm... thank u..
    yermsayin?

Block the trem befor you anything else
    messing with the springs of a floating trem doesn't work that well

You need a piece of wood thick enough that the baseplate of the trem is level with the body

as for the guitar not playing the way you like,...like what?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Change the strings first.

Adjust the truss rod.

Set the action.

Intonate.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I'm really curious what you're trying to accomplish. Is your bridge sitting level with the body? Is your neck straight? Do you like the tension of the strings while playing? Are chords in tune anywhere on the neck?
        Scott

Comment

my bridge always sat a lil below the body because thats how i liked it, and i guess i just want my action lower.. idk if i can compare this but i was playing my buddys highway one strat and sweeping perfect.. i come to my guitar and i cant even really do it.. it just seems the action is too high. and im pretty sure my necks straight and yes chords sound fine.
          yermsayin?

Comment

Originally posted by wr3k3d View Post
            my bridge always sat a lil below the body.
            ???

If I do that my strings will lie flat on the fretboard
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

my bridge always sat a lil below the body because thats how i liked it, and i guess i just want my action lower.. idk if i can compare this but i was playing my buddys highway one strat and sweeping perfect.. i come to my guitar and i cant even really do it.. it just seems the action is too high. and im pretty sure my necks straight and yes chords sound fine.
              Do you mean tilted so the back end is below the body, or is the whole baseplate below the body? If the latter, I don't think any amount of setup will get you lower.
              Scott

Comment

i just mean that the floyd was tilted down a bit.
                yermsayin?

Comment

What is the string height at the 17th fret?

If the trem is setting level & all the way down, and the action is still too high, You could shim the neck.

I would check the relief first.
                  Models
                  The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                  I dont need furniture.
                  If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                  If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                  And rock that sucker.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and google guitar set-up. Plenty of tutorials and even youtube videos...

Comment

i just mean that the floyd was tilted down a bit.
                      Okay. First, loosen the springs on the back so your floyd sits level with the body when everything is in tune. Next, lower the bridge by tightening the post screws. You'll probably need to retune a little bit after that.

There are a bazillion tutorials with photos on how to adjust a Floyd Rose style bridge, so Bing it
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X