weaker sound from high frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weaker sound from high frets

hi, i got a neck thru jackson stars king v, and my problem is, when i play on 17th fret onwards, the sound seems weak. although theres no buzz and i can bend without losing the sound in those frets. is it a problem with action or truss rod adjustment?

I think this issue is present on all guitars not just your one. I could be totally wrong but I think this is just pure physics. Upon picking the note, I'm sure the note is just normal as all the other notes but very very quickly, the volume dies down and it just sounds like crap. It's all just down to the fact that the length of the string is very short and can't vibrate as well as a long one i.e. the amplitude is lower and it just dies down quicker. Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I think at least.

Comment

Assuming your action is not set too low, this is often caused by "rising tongue", where the board starts to kick up at the high frets. This is more common on bolt-ons, but can happen on neck thrus as well. If it's that high on the board, it will be impossible to get out with a truss rod adjustment. A high fret can also cause this. This CANNOT be fixed by changing the neck angle by shimming.

Comment

I'd check your pickup height. I had a guitar with notes dying out on higher frets, lowered my bridge pickup, and the problem went away.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          I'd check your pickup height. I had a guitar with notes dying out on higher frets, lowered my bridge pickup, and the problem went away.
          +1
          Models
          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
          I dont need furniture.
          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
          And rock that sucker.

Comment

Working...
          X