Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nor's Firebird Build Thread of Doom - Big Pic Warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nor's Firebird Build Thread of Doom - Big Pic Warning!

I'm finally starting this project - been gassing for a firebird for a while. Some swamp-ashy goodness...

I've already coated the cavities with Stew-Mac shielding paint. Kinda messed up - I should have tossed a quick sealer in the cavities first. The ash drank the friggin paint! Turned out fine, but I 'would of' (fuck toejam!) saved a lot of paint.

Micro-Mesh is cool shite. After raising the grain a couple of times and knocking it back with the 1500 (400 grit) the wood almost felt finished. Cant wait to knok the finish down to 12000 (1800 grit!)

All nice and smooth - time for some color.

More to follow...
    Last edited by nor; 04-03-2010, 10:34 PM.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Alrighty - time for some color. This stuff is right off the shelf - no mixing, reducing or any other 'ing' I don't feel like do-ing.

Last edited by nor; 01-16-2010, 01:13 AM.
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Comment

Comment

Comment

You can see the ash is not taking the stain evenly. It's not crazy bad - but it's not crazy good either. Still got a sand-back and another round of stain, should balance out a bit.

Comment

Woo-hoo! It worked - the sand-back with the 400 Mesh and second stain really did the trick. She's really orangey now. The Tru-Oil should mellow that out quite a bit, tho.

Comment

Lookin' good!
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Send in the Oil!

Time for some finishing. I'm doing one coat a day, the first five are the grain fill. Here she is after the 3rd coat.

Comment

Looks great so far! Keep us posted.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Oh, and what does the "sand back" involve? Are you sanding over the whole guitar after you've stained it?

- E.
                    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                      Turned out fine, but I 'would of' (fuck toejam!) saved a lot of paint.
                      O RLY?

Nice job, love the color! Can't wait to see it finished.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                        Oh, and what does the "sand back" involve? Are you sanding over the whole guitar after you've stained it?

- E.
                        A very light sanding to remove some color from the 'field' of the wood, but leaving it in the grain. After the second stain you get more contrast out of the grain. That's how those mile deep figured tops get that way.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          O RLY?

Comment

looks like a roast turkey

I like it
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

That is looking good. Thanks for the tips for those of us who haven't endulged quite yet!

Thanks again for the pics!

Comment

Working...
                              X