Hopefully Simple Floyd Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully Simple Floyd Question

I have a few guitars that are set up to have the Floyd rest against the body and can not be pulled sharp. I find they always feel stiff. Is there a way to set them up so that they pull tight to the body but do not feel so stiff.

I have them set with 2 springs with the claw pulled tight towards the end. Can anyone recommend a solution?

Loosen the springs until the Floyd dives when you bend the strings. That will be against the body, but not with a tremendous amount of pressure keeping the trem down.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

It will always feel stiffer set up this way as opposed to fully floating. It's a compromise.

Comment

No need to have the claw against the body.I use 3 springs and when top mounted against the body and they feel smooth and not stiff at all.
        You have way too much pressure on the springs.
        It will take some tweaking tuning and re-tuning to get it where it feels good to you but should be no problem.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          You have way too much pressure on the springs.
          What string guage are you using?
          The number of springs you use will determine the amount of resting tension the springs are under. Two springs will constantly be under more tension than three springs, thus stiffer feeling. This is compounded when you dive because you are stretching them even further. This sounds backwards because, hay, two springs are less than three springs, right. Well not the case.

Example: If you hold each end of a spring and pull on it, there is not as mutch resistance at first, but the further you stretch it, the the more resistance you get. If you have 2 springs, they are constantly stretched further than 3 would be.

Move the spring claw closer to the bridge block & go to 3 or even 4 springs. It wont be as stiff.
          Last edited by Tricky; 01-12-2010, 05:01 AM.
          Models
          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
          I dont need furniture.
          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
          And rock that sucker.

Comment

Working...
          X