Best way to dull the frets on new San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to dull the frets on new San Dimas

I'm assuming i'm not the only person who has a new San Dimas and think the only flaw is the frets came a bit to shape. Might be a stupid question but whats the best way to dull them up?
    Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Are you asking how to get rid of sharp fret ends, or are the frets themselves crowned in a way that makes them too sharp?

Comment

Since you brought this up, mr. Spider, what do you use for sharp fret ends?

Comment

Stew mac sell fret files, check them out.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if he means the fret ends are sticking out (which would be odd) or that the frets ends are not dressed properly.

I've done both of my Warmoths (fret ends are beveled but not rounded when you get them, so they "feel sharp" but they don't stick out) and I have a technique I use, just using a stewmac offset diamond fret file (same one I use to re-crown frets after I level them) which works fine for me, but they do sell special files just for this purpose.

If you're not really into learning how to do fret work, take it to a pro. By the time you buy the stuff and potentially ruin your guitar (it's not that hard, but you don't want to just "go at it") you could pay someone to dress the frets. :dunno:

Comment

Thanks for the info guys (and sorry for the thread hijacking). I've got a USA Jackson where the high e string slips off the fretboard occasionally and gets stuck beneath the fret end. I've never experienced that before on any other guitar and I was just wondering that perhaps something could be done about the sharp fret edges.
            Last edited by javert; 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

If it is sticking under the fret then the fret is lifting and it needs to be re-seated.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I think the problem rather is that the frets stick out beyond the binding by just a little... You can both see and feel it. The frets sit nicely in the wood like they do on all my other guitars.

Comment

You could take a flat needle file to it, but you stand a chance of scaring the fretboard. Taking it to a pro is what I would suggest. They can also address the falloff issue. Shouldn't cost that much.
                  Models
                  The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                  I dont need furniture.
                  If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                  If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                  And rock that sucker.

Comment

Tricky, yeah, that was also my concern or that I would damage the binding. I hadn't decided what to do but was merely considering my option, but taking it to a pro is certainly the safest route.

Comment

Sometimes the wood will contract over time and you'll start feeling fret ends.

You got any pics? Would love to see it.
                      Models
                      I dont need furniture.
                      And rock that sucker.

Comment

I can try and see if I can capture it with my camera. The problem seems to have lessened somewhat since I got the guitar a couple of months ago, through wear I'd guess. It used to get stuck on some of the first frets but it doesn't anymore--now it's some of the higher frets. I can't even get it to stick on the low frets when I try on purpose.

Comment

And thanks for the suggestions, by the way.

Comment

Could be seasonal. Humidity & whatnot.
                            Models
                            I dont need furniture.
                            And rock that sucker.

Comment

Could be... the fretboard was actually really, really dry when I got it. It sucked a lot of oil in no time.

Comment

Working...
                              X