Action Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Change

This may be a strange question or it may just be me...but is it possible for action to change after changing strings ? I did my first string chage on my new RR1T I went from the factory string set 9's to GHS boomers 9's and it feels as though the action is a tad higher than before. I checked the neck straight as an arrow. I have been playing for a long time and never experienced anything like this. Again it could be me. Is Jackson using D'addario from the factory ?
    http://www.rockhoundtampabay.com

It is totally possible. Different strings can have tension variations... that would affect the action.
    Last edited by Musician78; 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Any suggestions on strings I am partial to boomers...or should I just run her in for a quick set up. She's holding tune rock steady now I was having minor tuning issues with the factory strings.

Comment

I see what I did I went from 9-42 which is what they put on at the factory to 9-46. Looks like it's going to need a set up. Any ideas about the nut ? should be ok right ?

Comment

As long as the strings move freely through the nut you should fine.

If the action is too high for you, just lower the bridge. No need to take it into a shop. You'll probably need to adjust the intonation as well, since that can vary even between brands of the same string gauge.
          Scott

Comment

The heavier E, A and D strings are exerting slightly more tension on the neck than the ones that came on the guitar from the factory so it's likely that you will need to tighten up the truss rod a wee bit (1/8th of a turn, maybe a quarter) to get it back to where it was. You should not need to lower bridge at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
              The heavier E, A and D strings are exerting slightly more tension on the neck than the ones that came on the guitar from the factory so it's likely that you will need to tighten up the truss rod a wee bit (1/8th of a turn, maybe a quarter) to get it back to where it was. You should not need to lower bridge at all.
              The truss rod is not for action adjustments. He stated his neck is straight, so he shouldn't need to touch the truss rod.
              Scott

Comment

The truss rod is not specifically for action adjustments, but it certainly can affect the action. I agree with Matt....a VERY small truss rod tweak should get you to where you want to be. You may want to adjust the action for the extra thickness of the strings, but you're talking like .002" for the low E.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                  The truss rod is not for action adjustments.
                  IMHO, it is because it affects the action (playability) so we can just agree to disagree.

He stated his neck is straight, so he shouldn't need to touch the truss rod.
                  Oops, missed that.

Comment

As far as stating the neck is "straight as an arrow".........that means .000" relief to me. I'm guessing even if his relief was actually .000" with his prior strings that it now has a LITTLE bit of relief with the thicker strings. I know some adjust the truss rod by feel and I do to some degree, but I also really like to use a quality straightedge and feeler gauges to find out exactly where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                      You may want to adjust the action for the extra thickness of the strings, but you're talking like .002" for the low E.
                      Actually, the bottom of the strings are resting in the exactly same position in the nut and in their saddles. They're just a wee bit (.002) further up.

Comment

...I also really like to use a quality straightedge and feeler gauges to find out exactly where I am.
                        That reminds me. I need to get some feeler gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                          That reminds me. I need to get some feeler gauges.
                          Yeah, they are very nice for this purpose....especially if you are anal retentive. I like to know where I'm at mainly for academic purposes. 90% of the time I like somewhere between .010" and .012" measured at the largest gap between the 6th to 9th frets, and I measure with a straightedge between the D & A strings.

Comment

Yeah, they are very nice for this purpose....especially if you are anal retentive. I like to know where I'm at mainly for academic purposes. 90% of the time I like somewhere between .010" and .012" measured at the largest gap between the 6th to 9th frets, and I measure with a straightedge between the D & A strings.
                            I've got a good straight edge and this handy little String Action Gauge from Stew Mac. I just would like to be able to accurately measure neck relief so I can precisely know what I like and keep track of it on all my guitars.

Comment

I noticed my new Sam Dimas 1S 2H has a definite bow in the neck towards the nut. Action is fine and plenty of room to lower,but is it good to have a visible relief I believe you called it? I ask cause its not visible on my other guitars.
                              And I'd do just about anything on my guitars except mes with the truss rod myself.
                              Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Comment

Working...
                              X