Fixed bridge as a OFR replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed bridge as a OFR replacement?

I'm not found of the idea to drill my guitar,or to add some wood stuff to block floyd,tremelNOs, ....so i really want to replace it with some fixed bridge,couse i saw on some forum that there are some "Wilkerson 2 post bridges" that could fit without redrilling,but i couldn't find the place where to get them:think:

Do you guys maybe know anything else,what or where,to look for?
    proud member of Jackson guitars fan club

Well... you're going to need something that matches the studs...

http://www.floydrose.com/pdf/Floyd%2...%20view)MM.pdf

I checked out these two bridges from stewmac, but their studs are wider than the Floyd, so they won't work.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...etails#details

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...xst=1&xsr=5169

Floyd sells this one:

http://www.floydrose.com/fixedbridge.html

But its unclear to me if it will retrofit onto an existing Floyded guitar.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Buy a hardtail guitar! These projects usually nibble away at the wallet and end in heartache.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Buy a hardtail guitar! These projects usually nibble away at the wallet and end in heartache.
        +1. It's not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          Buy a hardtail guitar!
          I'd say go with a block first. I don't know why the OP is not fond of that, but its definately the preferred method of fixing any fulcrum style trem...
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Floyd sells this one:

http://www.floydrose.com/fixedbridge.html

But its unclear to me if it will retrofit onto an existing Floyded guitar.
            I can tell you that bridge requires the special speedloader strings so I would avoid it unless you want to only use those strings.

What about Tremol-no?

Comment

Oh crap,it looks like i'll have to make a block first,couse there is no store in Croatia where i can buy tremolNO

Well,here's the thing i hate about OFR:

1.I cant rest my arm on it(like for example on TOM bridge),allways fells uncomfortable...and strings go little out of tune...fells almost like i'm "walking on ice"....this is the main reason acctually!
              2.When i bend one string,other strings also change pitch.
              3.I rarelly use trem arm at all...

I dont have money to buy new guitar,and U.S.A. Jacksons with TOM bridge are allmost unknow here in my country(in terms to trade mine for one)
              proud member of Jackson guitars fan club

Comment

Originally posted by T0M= View Post

1.I cant rest my arm on it(like for example on TOM bridge),allways fells uncomfortable...and strings go little out of tune...fells almost like i'm "walking on ice"....this is the main reason acctually!
                Blocking the Floyd from pulling up will fix 1 and 2, and will still let you use it for divebombing.

Comment

Oh crap,it looks like i'll have to make a block first,couse there is no store in Croatia where i can buy tremolNO

I dont have money to buy new guitar,and U.S.A. Jacksons with TOM bridge are allmost unknow here in my country(in terms to trade mine for one)
                  All of the issues you mention are solved in seconds by cutting a block of wood to wedge the trem solid and flat, then crank the springs really hard so that the trem can't dive. You put the block of wood between the trem block and the body under the springs. Get 5 springs if you can to lock it in.

I've also seen blocking done a different way. In my HM Strat, it's blocked from the back so that string tension holds the block and trem in place. The block of wood goes behind the trem block and not under the springs. Haven't had any issue with it done this way, and you don't need springs, claw or screws any more (weight saving?)

Comment

You need to work on your technique then. I've never understood how people do this.
                    Just rest your hand on the top of the Floyd by the post, and you don't need to apply much pressure. I'm a pretty heavy picker, but don't ever put the Floyd out of tune by lightly resting my palm on it.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Surely there are some internet shops that ship to Croatia, no? I wonder if http://www.thommann.de does. Otherwise, I'm sure you can find some on Ebay.

I'm not fond of Floyd Roses either and prefer fixed bridges, but I do have to guitars with Floyd Roses and I've got a Tremol-No installed in one of them and it works fine. The only remaining problem that it can't help solve is that the parts tend to rust as I'm one sweaty bastard when I play.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        You need to work on your technique then. I've never understood how people do this.
                        Just rest your hand on the top of the Floyd by the post, and you don't need to apply much pressure. I'm a pretty heavy picker, but don't ever put the Floyd out of tune by lightly resting my palm on it.
                        That was never a problem for me either, but on the other hand, it's annoying to have to change your ways because of some piece of equipment that you may not use much anyway.

Comment

+1
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I agree. I don't have issues going from a floating bridge to a fixed bridge or back. I almost never screw on the whammy bar (jokes coming?) but I like having the floyd if someday I might figure out how to use it.

Comment

I'm not fond of the Floyd either.

Looks like if you could find a bridge that has approx 73mm stud placement you could replace it.

You would also, have to make sure that the bridge saddles are at the correct place to handle the scale length.

So now, here's where I get caught. If you have the studs so far fwd of the saddles, how do you maintain tension?

Or you could try to place an integrated humbucker ring/tele bridge? I have one that I've been meaning to drop into a DK2 to play around with it. But I'm really lazy.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X