Repainting a guitar...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting a guitar...?

How much does this cost? I know prices can vary, but I seriously have absolutely no idea what this would cost. My KV3 has a crappy cherry (I think) sunburst on it and I would really like to have a nice (or at least nicer) looking burst on it. I know it is probably not worth repainting a KV3, but whatever... that is up to the individual to decide.

Thanks
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

I suggest give Mike Learn a call.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Isn't that like asking Carrol Shelby to adjust the the engine timing of an '86 Dodge Omni?
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

A burst will probably run at least $300 but you'll need to contact a painter (Mike Learn highly recommended) for sure.

Also consider that a new paint job will add nothing to the value of the guitar no matter how good the paint job is.

Comment

I do know that, it is purely aesthetic for me. But 300 is a little steep for a KV3, lol. I figured it was expensive, but really had no idea what so ever. I just know that I have seen better bursts on inexpensive guitars so I was hoping it was a little cheaper.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

There are probably painters out there who could do a burst for less than $300 but I wouldn't expect great quality. You might get quality but you might not but $300 for a quality paint job is a good price, all things considered. Heck, I had a guitar done with camo and graphics for $1100.

Comment

I just need quality better than what's on it, lol. I wouldn't have a problem paying real money if I was repainting one of my KV2s or something like that, but really not to a KV3. Maybe I should find someone who is just starting out who needs examples to put in their portfolio... They certainly couldnt' do much worse, lol.

Comment

a friend went to this place to have his guitar painted: http://www.simscustomshop.com/page9.html
                it should give you a ball park idea.
                it took forever to get the guitar back but it looked quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
                  a friend went to this place to have his guitar painted: http://www.simscustomshop.com/page9.html
                  it should give you a ball park idea. it took forever to get the guitar back but it looked quite good.
                  His prices are not cheaper than anyone else and there are other painters (e.g. Mike Learn) who are much easier to deal with and have significantly shorter turnaround times. I speak from experience. Sims painted 2 of my guitars and while they turned out good, they took 4-6 months. Mike Learn painted 2 guitars for me and the longest wait was 6 weeks.

Oh man, you're just asking for trouble if you go with him. Search the web and you'll understand why I say this .Heck, there's a specific website dedicated to warning others to avoid Sims.

Seriously, avoid Sims Custom Shop (the U.S. one, not the U.K. one) at all costs!!!

Comment

rsguitarworks.net get a quote from Roy they aren't cheap but you get an outstanding paint job.
                    Check in the guitar builds and re-builds therad they painted all of mine and they look great.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                      Isn't that like asking Carrol Shelby to adjust the the engine timing of an '86 Dodge Omni?
                      Carrol Shelby was asked to do that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_GLHS

I had a Model 5 refinished by Dan Lawrence and that was right around a grand. The quality from Dan does amazing work and is great to deal with.
                      Last edited by Aso; 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aso View Post
                        Carrol Shelby was asked to do that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_GLHS
                        Wow. Just wow. I just pulled the worst piece of crap I could think of for that analogy. I guess maybe I should get Mike Learn, lol.

Comment

It will also cost $100 more if you want them to do the rewire:idea:. $400 is the bottom line for anything decent from the research Ive done.
                          Charvel San Dimas 1985 and 2009 1S 2H,ESP KH-2, Dean MAB1. Randall RM50 (Hellatone 60L's,V30 & CL 80).BOSS ME-70 & GT10,RC-2,Jamman, BBE Sonic Stomp.

Comment

Originally posted by Balou View Post
                            It will also cost $100 more if you want them to do the rewire:idea:. $400 is the bottom line for anything decent from the research Ive done.

Na. I do all my own wiring. Where in New Hampshire are you?

Comment

If I wasnt in the midst of a move I would do it for 200ish but it will be 4 months or more before I am doing any paint again. good luck its a slim market for good work, i just do it as a hobby.
                              Haters gonna hate
                              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X