Jackson RR24 truss rod unscrews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson RR24 truss rod unscrews

I'm having some issues with the truss rod in my RR24. After setting it up, after like a week, the nut controlling the truss rod tension has visibly turned by itself about 1/8 of a turn - which makes the neck bow and the guitar to go out of tune.

It's really dry here right now because of freezing temperatures - but I don't think the truss rod should 'unscrew' itself anyway?

I might have warranty left on this guitar, but is there anything I could do myself?

unless its insanely dry your truss rod shouldn't move that much in that short of time , i have taken guitars from extreme heat into the cold and the truss rod barely moves , i would exchange it .

Comment

Ok.. I'll monitor the truss rod a couple of days and see what happens so I'm sure.. Then I'll contact the store.

The only problem I see is that it's one of the 'Limited Edition' RR24's with yellow bevels and white binding, so a replacement is problably not possible. Or did you mean change the truss rod? (I think that's impossible?)

Comment

Hey Sweden dude,

Are you 100% SURE the truss rod nut turned (did you watch it move, or did you mark it before with a pen and check after?) Or (more likely) did the wood in your neck shrink from the cold dry environment?

Necks shrink and expand due to weather. That's why the truss rod nut is adjustable. And this is going to happen more to a fairly new guitar than to a well seasoned guitar with a few years on it.

Might want to get a humidifier.

Comment

Maybe it's because I'm comparing it to my previous guitar.. a 1987 Ibanez RG760

I'll try marking it with a pen somehow. Thanks for the tips guys =)

Comment

There... I'll post again in a week, or when I've seen it move.

Comment

Sounds good.

FWIW it's pretty F'ing cold (and dry) in the US right now. About 10 degrees F in the Cinci to Nashville area for lows.

Comment

The neck will move due to climate, but not the truss rod. If the rod moves by itself, you've got a major problem.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well... The tross rod has not turned anything this week... I must've been imagining things. Probably forgot how I set it up last time adjusting it... :think:

(If there was an embarrassed smiley, I would've placed it here )

Comment

Live and learn.

Try to keep your place more humid if you don't want the neck to shrink and expand with the seasons.

Me? Fuck it. I just play.

Comment

Working...
                    X