Polishing frets on a DK2M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing frets on a DK2M

Got a new-to-me used DK2M and want to polish the frets. But this is the 1st maple-boarded guitar that I’ve owned in 21 years! I’ve always used Brasso for frets, but with non-finished fingerboards like rosewood or ebony, usually I hit it with a little lemon oil before and after the fret polish, so the Brasso compound does not have an opportunity to sink into the wood.

But since the DK2M’s board is sealed, do I need to tape off the fingerboard around the frets? I’m afraid that the polishing of the frets will buff out and remove the sealer from the fingerboard, which something I didn’t need to worry about with non-finished boards. What have others done here?
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

I would neither use lemon oil nor a liquid metal polish on any fingerboard. I always tape the fingerboard and use steel wool.

Comment

To polish the frets, all you need is some 0000 steel wool. No need to use brasso or any other compound. Just tape off the board and go to work on the fretwire, it will leave them nice and shiney. Oh, and be sure to cover your pickups because the steel wool shavings will be attracted by the magnets. A little bit of lemon oil is fine for your maple fretboard. I always apply a little and ten wipe it off. Don't soak it, and it will condition it nicely.

Comment

Try either of these. It's a little more than the cost of tape, but saves a whole lot of time.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...rd_Guards.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ing_Masks.html
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
          Try either of these. It's a little more than the cost of tape, but saves a whole lot of time.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...rd_Guards.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ing_Masks.html
          You know, a friend gave me a couple of those a long time ago, but I never got to use them and I lost em!

I used to go the steel wool, but I found the Brasso route involved less cleanup. And I could polish the frets in the living room without getting the wrath from my fam from getting steel wool bits everywhere!
          I've also heard of those presoaked steel wool or something close to it that has a buffing compound in it. My friend had one of those may yrs ago and he used it on his gold hardware and polished off all the gold! It was designed for frets only but he didn't know that! Thanks for the responses.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yes you need a plastic fretboard guard or tape off the fretboard or the steel wool will scratch the finish all to hell

Comment

I usually use a polishing wheel with compound in a small dremmel. You have to be careful not to leave the over do it though. If the frets heats up too much, it may soften the glue and and they could start to lift. Tape or some kind of guard is a must for any method.
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I'm gonna get some blue 3M masking tape and use ye old Brasso then...unless the green tape's better.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                  I'm gonna get some blue 3M masking tape and use ye old Brasso then...unless the green tape's better.
                  I always use the blue 3M painters tape, comes off really easily with no residue left on the fretboard.
                  MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                    I always use the blue 3M painters tape, comes off really easily with no residue left on the fretboard.
                    +1 on the blue 3M painters tape. Although it is time consuming, it seems like the easiest method for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
                      I usually use a polishing wheel with compound in a small dremmel. You have to be careful not to leave the over do it though. If the frets heats up too much, it may soften the glue and and they could start to lift. Tape or some kind of guard is a must for any method.
                      yeah.. I had a neck messed up by the tech around here who polished the frets on my yngwie strat's neck and chewed up the maple fretboard because he didn't tape it apparently

this was before I knew how to do it myself

Comment

Tape off the pickups to avoid the steel wool from collecting on them and lay an old cloth or towel underneath the neck to collect the little bits. It makes clean up a whole lot easier and you don't have to hear about it from the fam.

Comment

Working...
                        X