Metal vs. plastic pickup bezels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal vs. plastic pickup bezels

It's been a long time since I sold my chrome metal for black plastic bezels (you call them rings). I was wondering if anyone here has noticed any tonal change between using metal and plastic?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Are you having a laugh? Seriously. You own some awesome guitars, but you posted last week about a faulty jack socket and now this?
    Seriously?
    You're having a laugh right?
    Do you ever play those guitars of yours or attempt to tinker with them yourself without paying some guy to do it?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yep. Just testing.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I notice a difference in using metal or plastic mounting rings. The metal ones weigh more, so they add mass, which increases sustain. The plastic ones are thicker but much lighter, and thus do not add as much sustain.

Seriously, though, the only difference is that metal rings will ding up your paint if you're not careful when working with them (when they're not bolted down).
        As well, they're a lot shorter, so they work best on recessed-Floyded guitars IMO.

On TOM and top-mounted Floyds, you have to crank the pickup way above the ring to get it close to the strings, though you can put a metal ring on top of a plastic one if all you want is the look.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          though you can put a metal ring on top of a plastic one if all you want is the look.
          That is what I do. That way I get the awesome sustain and tone that only a metal pickup ring can provide, while still having the plastic to insulate the pickup's magnetic field from the metal flake in the guitar's paint.

:think:

:ROTF:

Comment

I hang extra metal rings from my strap (on the end closest to the input jack) for added sustain.

That way, I don't risk damaging the finish.

Well, the finish near that strap button gets kinda fucked up, but I can't see that when I'm playing (nor can the chicks).

Just my two cents.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
              I hang extra metal rings from my strap (on the end closest to the input jack) for added sustain.

That way, I don't risk damaging the finish.

Well, the finish near that strap button gets kinda fucked up, but I can't see that when I'm playing (nor can the chicks).

Just my two cents.

Now you mention strap buttons, would the thicker screws that come with Dunlop straplocks get me more sustain?

Comment

I cut my pickup rings out of freshly made volcanic rock using vintage paleolithic stone tools.

Comment

Just reading this thread increased the sustain on all my guitars!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
                    Now you mention strap buttons, would the thicker screws that come with Dunlop straplocks get me more sustain?
                    Well, I wasn't going to let the cat out of the bag on that one, but...

Yes. Actually, I've installed about 60 extra Dunlop straplock screws in my guitar. I haven't played it yet today, but it's still sustaining the last note I played!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
                      OT serious story: I have used those Dunlop screws in place of the wimpy screws that come with Schaller Straplocks. I specifically remember doing that when I got my 59RI Les Paul. For some reason or another the screws that came with the Les Paul wouldn't work, so I used the Dunlop screws. It required drilling just a tiny smidge out of the Schaller buttons. I believe I did that on one other guitar too but I can't remember. I usually am able to just use the guitar's screws with the Schaller buttons. Bottom line: Schaller needs to include beefier screws with their straplocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                        OT serious story: I have used those Dunlop screws in place of the wimpy screws that come with Schaller Straplocks. I specifically remember doing that when I got my 59RI Les Paul. For some reason or another the screws that came with the Les Paul wouldn't work, so I used the Dunlop screws. It required drilling just a tiny smidge out of the Schaller buttons. I believe I did that on one other guitar too but I can't remember. I usually am able to just use the guitar's screws with the Schaller buttons. Bottom line: Schaller needs to include beefier screws with their straplocks.
                        On Jacksons and Charvels (new ones) that come with standard buttons (not the Pro Mods) I just use the Jackson screws, they fit through the Schaller buttons but they're a good 1/4" longer!

Comment

And who would deny the benefits of a longer screw :P
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by newc View Post
                            and who would deny the benefits of a longer screw :p

Comment

Working...
                            X