Neck pickup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup thread

Hey guys. It's come to a time when I'm going to swap my neck pickup in my Rhoads (SD Jazz). I hate the sound. Way too weak compared to the OBL I have in the bridge, and I have a Jazz in my Schecter that sound 25 times better, so I'm just going to give this Jazz the boot.

I was thinking about 2 different Duncans. A Seymour Duncan Full Shred ( http://dev.seymourduncan.com/product...10_full_shred/ ) and a Seymour Duncan Invader ( http://dev.seymourduncan.com/product...e/sh8_invader/ ).

Does anyone have any experience with either of these pickups for the neck position? I'm trying to get a nice warm tone, good for ultra br00t4l shredding. Mainly something that works better with sweeping and shredding.

Edit: I'd like to stay out of Active Territory. Never really liked anything active, besides the Jackson pickups in my Charvel.
    Last edited by MetalHeadMat; 12-30-2009, 06:01 PM.

And those Jackson pickups were not active - they were passive pickups with an external active circuit board.

Haven't tried an Invader neck, but I do like the bridge model with a Distortion (bridge) in the neck.

I had a Full Shred many years ago. Not a very high-gain pickup.

Try a JB in the neck.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have used a full shred in the neck with good results. It does tend towards a 'stratty' type of tone there though. I love the Pearly Gates in the neck but it isn't really hot like it seems you are looking for.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

DiMarzio Super 2.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What's an OBL?
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            And those Jackson pickups were not active - they were passive pickups with an external active circuit board.

Haven't tried an Invader neck, but I do like the bridge model with a Distortion (bridge) in the neck.

I had a Full Shred many years ago. Not a very high-gain pickup.

Try a JB in the neck.
            Ah, well either way they're still great :P
            And the closest I've tried to an Invader in the neck pickup, is a Duncan Designed. It seems to have what I want, but I'm wondering if a pickup with a name like the Full Shred would help me with my tone like I want it to be. If that made any sense

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            I have used a full shred in the neck with good results. It does tend towards a 'stratty' type of tone there though. I love the Pearly Gates in the neck but it isn't really hot like it seems you are looking for.
            Single coils are awesome in the neck, even on Strats. The pickup itself looks like a PAF Pro, would you compare it to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              What's an OBL?
              Original Bill Lawrence.

Comment

Ah... and that's different from a BBL, right?
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  DiMarzio Super 2.
                  I just heard one on the site.. Didn't like the tone that much :\
                  What's an OBL?
                  Oh sorry, I didn't see your post, but ya, Original Bill Lawrence. It's not an ACTUAL Bill Lawrence, just one of the ones Gibson sold. Based off of Bill Lawrence's specs, basically a Duncan Designed?

I took the Dimarzio quiz, and it recomended a Liquifire. Thoughts on those?

Comment

What's an OBL?
                    Ah... and that's different from a BBL, right?

Basically this is what I have: http://www.billlawrencereview.com/pi...hone_obl_2.jpg

And this is an Actual Bill Larence: http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swamp...es/testim4.gif

So imo, basically a Duncan Designed

Comment

If it says OBL on it, I think it's an old BBL aftermarket pup that was made for Gibson/Epiphone at one time.

Edit: Mat beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                        And this is an Actual Bill Larence: http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swamp...es/testim4.gif
                        That Bill Lawrence USA is Bill's old partner, the ones that were also used in old Jacksons. It's not a Bill and Becky Lawrence pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                          I just heard one on the site.. Didn't like the tone that much :\
                          Bummer. The Super 2 is one of my favorite neck pups, great for shred, bright and clear but warm, great match up with other high gain pups in the bridge like an X2N, Super D or Super 3.

Comment

That Bill Lawrence USA is Bill's old partner, the ones that were also used in old Jacksons. It's not a Bill and Becky Lawrence pickup.
                            Really? :S

Comment

Bummer. The Super 2 is one of my favorite neck pups, great for shred, bright and clear but warm, great match up with other high gain pups in the bridge like an X2N, Super D or Super 3.
                              What guitar do you have it in? Do you have any video or sound clips of it?

Comment

Working...
                              X