Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on Replacement Bodies & Necks

Merry Christmas to all,

I just finished my first project guitar which was a Kramer Barretta Mutt. The project was really satisfying and I am looking to start another. I think it's the quest for perfection. I made a few newbie mistakes on the build, and I know I can do way better on a second project.

I am looking to do a San Dimas body style (probably Mahogany) with Birdseye Maple Strat style neck.

Has anyone had experience with Warmoth, Musikraft, Boogie Bodies, etc?

I will shortly be on my second Warmoth. The quality of the first was excellent, so, I bought another.

The neck is a slightly different feel from a Charvel in terms of the fretboard radius, but nothing major.

The body, you may not like. The edge radius is very round compared to a Charvel, and the way the neck pocket is routed on a non-recessed Floyd leaves little to no room for pull-up, more like an 80's Kramer Focus than the Charvel Pro Mods.

The overall fit & finish is excellent, really really top quality. The frets required dressing only on the ends (sharp) and are very level straight out of the box.

Musikraft has a Charvel dinky-style body as well as the standard Charvel. I've heard good things about them, but have not bought anything from them. I have a Pro Mod body that I will be buying a 2 1/4" heel neck for at some point, from them.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
      The body, you may not like. The edge radius is very round compared to a Charvel, and the way the neck pocket is routed on a non-recessed Floyd leaves little to no room for pull-up, more like an 80's Kramer Focus than the Charvel Pro Mods.
      Hey, that's why you shim the neck to your liking

I like MusiKraft necks a lot but be prepared to do a little work on them. The frets will require attention but they have tons of options and I know what profile I like from them. They are a little pricey but it's not cheap to build a quality guitar. Their bodies look nice but there are few details about them I'm not crazy about but I have the perfect resource for bodies so I'm a little biased on those.

If you are having the body painted Mike Learn is top notch and I have also had paint work done from Marty Bell and Pat Wilkins. You can't go wrong with any for those guys.

Comment

Working...
      X