No announcement yet.

Do you even bother with the backplate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you even bother with the backplate?

Do you even bother with the backplate on your guitars with trems?

I for one have never bothered to re-install mine once I purchase and setup a guitar. It tends to spend the rest of it's life in the case with the matching screws in a small ziplock bag.

I just find it a pain in the ass to unscrew it, be it to string up the guitar (vintage trem) or adjust the Floyd.

If I recall the Eric Johnson signature Strat did not come with one and they did not even drill the holes. And that was no $100 Affinity Squier either.

Wish my PC1 came from the factory like that.

What is your preference?

I've got Tremol-nos in my OFR guitars so I just leave it off. I had a body made for me and I didn't have holes drilled for it.

I leave the back plate on my Fender Strat because I can restring the guitar with the back plate on.

Comment

If the back plate is recessed, I leave it on. If its not recessed, I keep it off.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I don't get the whole "naked trem cavity" thing. I mean, how often do you really have to mess with the springs or take all the strings off??? It takes 20 seconds to install or remove the cover. Cover up your hole!

Comment

I have to keep it on on my Soloist because I have to dampen the sound of the springs on it (They like to ring) by having a bunch of paper towel in the cavity. I leave it off on my DK2 because I use that for alternate tunings so I need to adjust it a lot.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I take it off, and keep it off. It's enough of a pain in the ass to unscew 6 tiny friggin screws every time you need to make a minute adjustment to your action. Besides, I tend to strip said screws when I've screwed/unscrewed them enough times, so why bother with them...

Comment

I usually leave the back plate on. Always have to guard against something getting caught when you're playing nude!
              Hail yesterday

Comment

With me, I'll typically leave a guitar the way I got it-

If it came with a backplate, then I'll leave it on. If it DIDN'T come with a backplate, then I won't go through the trouble of getting a new one.

In short, it doesn't even matter either way.

Comment

I leave them on, and if i get a guitar without one i cant wait to get one on there, but that's just me.
                  Last edited by jacksonaxes; 12-22-2009, 02:52 AM.
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Once I take the cover off it's off for good.

Comment

I leave mine off also, but the screws are screwed back in so I don't lose them.
                      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                        Once I take the cover off it's off for good.
                        +1

Apart from the practical aspects I also think it looks cooler.

Comment

You don't have to use all six screws, two will do the job!

Comment

To me the missing backplate indicates that this is a real "in the trenches" working mans guitar that needs function well above form any day.

That and missing truss rod covers but that is another thread all together.....

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                              That and missing truss rod covers but that is another thread all together.....
                              Heh, I take those off too.

Comment

Working...
                              X