Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An electronics testing rig, any real use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An electronics testing rig, any real use?

So, I decided to try and fashion myself a little rig that could test whether or not a DPDT on-on-on toggle would be dead or not before I shell out money on one new and waste a perfectly good old one and/or before I invest time in installing a busted one and having to replace it with a good one.

Simple setup, a battery, a bit of wire, and LED, typical stuff. Then a thought struck me, if I could make a sort of a universal rig for testing other electronics of a guitar without going anywhere near one. Been really bogged down timewise lately, and even though electronics are dirt cheap, every little helps, so I thought why not!

So I thought, this may save me bout tenner-15 quid and an hour's worth of dismantling + redoing a job (minus the trip to a hardware store), or the trouble in case one of my components is busted (its really humid here), or even if I suspect I may have burnt something while soldering.

Seems like a neat idea but do you guys think it's too minuscule and fiddly to be of any real world use when work needs to be done? I mean, it's just pots switches, and jacks, pretty much. Whatever the case, sounds like a cute gadget anyways So what do you guys think, would you actually use one?

Just stirring up some talk.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

I just use a meter.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
      I just use a meter.
      I KNEW there was a less fiddly way, escaped me what, though.
      Puts my idea to shame Still, can't beat the feeling of achievement with something that you made yourself.
      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Great idea if you are a repair shop or build and wire a lot of guitars. I look at it as an electronics tool or pattern jig, much like the jigs luthiers use to shape the wood for guitars.
        As a great machinist I know once said "you have to be tooled".

Comment

Go for it. Most things I do seem to entail me using the most squiggly line I can find to figure out if a straight line is the shortest distance between 2 points. And I'm always satisfied after I figure it out. What the hell, try it out..
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Sounds good to me. I'd build it so you can stick the pots and switches into a stock-type thing (the old stockade/yoke thing they used to out people in) and do the wiring, then you can flip the switch and turn the knobs to see if they work.

Once it's checked, you should be able to just take the wired pots and put them in the guitar. If the switch also goes where the knobs are i.e. Jackson/Charvel, etc, then you can have them all pre-wired.

Hmmm. Now that I think of it, I might build one for myself
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X