Will this setup work in my DK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this setup work in my DK2?

I'm wanting to replace the pickups in my DK2 (H/S/S) and like the idea of purchasing one of the setups below. Since I'm not good at wiring, I am wondering if either of these will make it easy for me, but am wondering if they will fit the body OK or will I need to do some routing.

EMG EMG-KH20
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-EMG-...29-i1323644.gc

EMG EMG-SL20
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-EMG-...65-i1323643.gc

I would not use the pick guard, so I would be removing everything and installing it to the body. Here's a pic of my DK2.

"Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

I had one of those prewired sets, but the pickguard wouldnt fit on a USA strat. I then installed everything in a Jackson SL1. There is more than enough space, no routing required.
    However, I think you will have to do a little soldering because the tone knob is connected to the volume knob via the capacitor which is too short to fit into your guitar.

Comment

Thanks for the input max. Does the blade switch also transfer over with no problems?
      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Originally posted by stevoc View Post
        Thanks for the input max. Does the blade switch also transfer over with no problems?
        Yes, standard 5-way switch.
        Another thing: the quick connect thing that attaches right under the pickup does not fit through the hole that connects the electronic cavity and the pickup route. Since the other end of the pickup cable is soldered to something, you will probably have to pull the wires out of the plastic connector and then put them back in the right order. That was kinda annoying - make sure you remember the correct order of red, white and black.

Comment

Great input. One more question. (sorry about this) Are the volume and tone pots connected to the circuit board? It looks like they are not spaced enough ti line up to the holes in the body.

Comment

Originally posted by stevoc View Post
            Great input. One more question. (sorry about this) Are the volume and tone pots connected to the circuit board? It looks like they are not spaced enough ti line up to the holes in the body.
            Good thing you asked, I just went to their website and apparently they changed the whole crap. I bought the KH20 set not long ago and it doesnt have this circuit board.
            If the tone knob is attached to the circuit board now, and I suppose it is, as I said above, this won't fit. Volume and tone are about 5cm apart (center to center) on the EMG-pickguard and on your dinky it will be more like 6.5.

Comment

"The new Pro Series pickguards have the pots directly mounted to a circuit board. Adding dual-output pups or accessories is not possible; the circuit boards cannot be modified."
              What a great innovation: the pickguard doesn't fit on a standard strat, and now you cannot even use the electronics without the pickguard.

I'd check for old KH20 sets on the bay.
              Last edited by max; 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

That sucks , but thanks for all your help.

Comment

I suggest:

a. learn how to solder

b. buy the pickups used on ebay vs. the new set - new pickups are WAAAAAAY overpriced.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    I suggest:

a. learn how to solder

b. buy the pickups used on ebay vs. the new set - new pickups are WAAAAAAY overpriced.
                    a. - no joke! I've been dependent on others for this and need to get on the wagon.

b. - no joke! Looks like I'm back to it since it appears the set won't work.

Anyone know if the volume/tone pots are long or short shaft on import jacksons?

Comment

Working...
                    X