Guitar Neck Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Neck Length

Not counting scale length, are all guitar necks the same length? I have 2 different scale length guitars, with different #'s of frets, but both necks measure 18 inches.:think:
    I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

No. Also - what are you measuring? Tip of the headstock to the butt of the heel? To the fretboard extension? To the long neck tenon?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

No, not all necks are the same length. Scale length is measured from the nut to the bridge, so two necks may be the same length but have different scale lengths due to the frets being spaced differently, and the bridge being closer or farther away from the neck. I believe this is how it works anyway.

Comment

Some have 21, 22, 23, 24...frets. Some are short scale some are long, some are baritone...

Comment

I am measuring from the nut to the butt of the heel below the last fret.
          I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr loomis View Post
            I am measuring from the nut to the butt of the heel below the last fret.
            All that will tell you is how long the neck is. Measure it like that won't tell you what scale length the neck was meant for or if it will work on the body you're trying to mate it to.

You need to measure the neck from the nut (the edge on the fingerboard side) to the 12th fret (the actual fret itself). Take that measurement and double it to get the scale length the neck was made for.

Next, put the neck on the body (you don't need to attach it) and measure from the nut (same side as before) to the middle of the saddles' movement range. This is will the scale length.

If these 2 numbers don't match up then either
            1) The neck heel and pocket won't mate up correctly for the scale length the neck needs.This can be fixed but its a wee bit of work.
            2) The neck was made for a different scale length the bridge was placed for and fixing that is a lot messier than the first option.

Comment

Working...
            X