Another Pickup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Pickup thread

I've come to the conclusion I just don't like these EMG's. No character (other than sounding stewed (like making a cuppa and leaving the teabag in too long); No balls, and pinched harmonics are harder to achieve than they are on my SD SH-6. I have the option to go back to the SH-6, or consider another pickup altogether. I suspect (which is what I want others to prove) whether SD Blackouts have a similar "stewed" sound? I'm even considering a pair of Dimarzio Distortions, being that I'm happy with the Evo's in my other guitar. Comments/advice from the experienced please.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

What do you specifically like/dislike about the SH-6? That'll help, or at least give us something to discuss before I recommend the Duncan Custom, like I always do. Have you tried any of the Bare Knuckles pickups? Most of my Brit friends rave about them, especially the Nailbomb & Holy Diver. I figured all you guys were into those things by now.
    Last edited by dg; 12-07-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Duncan Custom
      or
      Dimarzio Tonezone
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I just recently went through every sound clip I could find about the JB, distortion, custom and (from the Duncan's website and people's reviews) what I came up with is the JB is brighter/trebly-er, Custom is darker and more bassy but not in a bad way, Distortion is about even between them. Seems like it's not as bassy as the custom and has nice smooth highs and mids from every clip I heard. That sound about right for a comparison? I don't know the actual calibration to reference this to tea or coffee though... lol. I'm going with a SH-6 but can't compare as I haven't played it yet.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The clips are sorta useful, but you've got to put them in the guitar and play them. They'll sound different with different woods & different rigs. Bottom line, pickups are a totally subjective thing. Threads like this are good to maybe push you toward trying something you hadn't thought of, but at the end of the day it comes down to trying out a bunch of stuff until you find just the right thing. In about 6 out of the last 8 guitars for me, that has been turned out to be the Custom.

Comment

I'm going the opposite way. Never "loved" EMG's, but the RR24M is changing my mind.

Comment

I totally agree with you about EMGs. Tried an 81 and an 85 in the bridge of my Kelly Std and they just made the guitar sound lifeless. I switched to a Duncan Distortion and love it. It's got mids mids mids which is great for playing old thrashy stuff.

IIRC correctly, Blackouts are just active JBs, so they probably don't sound like EMGs. I haven't heard them though, so they may still have that over-brewed tea sound.
              Scott

Comment

It all really depends on the guitar. The EMG 81's in my WR1 and black KV are fuckin' monsters and I love 'em ! EMG's in my KV1 sounded awful and I went with Evo's. Evo's in the white KV2 I had sounded crappy, but a Super 3 and PAF sounded awesome. Sometimes you just hafta try a few different set ups to see what works.
                I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

dg pretty much nailed it. I use these posts to push me into something... Which was the Custom. Then someone had a good price on a Distortion, so I bought it!! I'm gonna pick up a custom to try out in a few different guitars as well... As soon as dg stops hogging the stock of them!! lol
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

dg & sully, both! In the end, the only way that I could pick up a Custom in the Classifieds was to buy a guitar with one already in it - from sully
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      I totally agree with you about EMGs. Tried an 81 and an 85 in the bridge of my Kelly Std and they just made the guitar sound lifeless.
                      I had an EMG in the bridge position and disliked it. It was too sterile. According to an engineer at EMG active pups are noisier than passive if that is an issue for you.

Comment

SH-6 and SH-10 are going back in until I can get my hands on a Custom Custom. Thanks.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Try a DiMarzio Super Distortion. A Duncan distortion is a pretty hot pickup but it's voiced more for midrange and top end. The DiMarzio has more balls down low. No matter how many times I try other pickups, the DiMarzio Super D always ends up being my favorite. As for Duncans, I like the Parallel Axis much better than the Distortion. It has more low end crunchy balls.

Comment

F

First off...try the EMG85 in the bridge. Its AlnicoV and sounds a lot more organic than the 81. Then try the 18v mod to both...which is a $3 mod from Radio Shack. The BO's are not the same sounding as EMGs. The BO neck in the bridge is organic...chewie...and full of character. Much more so than the SH-6.

The EMG81 is what it is...clear, articulate, and never flubs out. But its EQ and ceramic mag keep it from being more passive like.

People that say actives are dull and lifeless haven't tried the other PuPs I've mentioned, or re-eq'd they're amps to take advantage of actives.

Comment

[QUOTE=Greg Crowe;1302862]Try a DiMarzio Super Distortion. A Duncan distortion is a pretty hot pickup but it's voiced more for midrange and top end. The DiMarzio has more balls down low. No matter how many times I try other pickups, the DiMarzio Super D always ends up being my favorite. QUOTE]

+1
                              the Dimarzio Super Distortion rules. i felt like the Seymour Duncan Distortion sounds great by itself but washes out in a band situation. the Dimarzio Super Distortion cuts right through the mix everytime with super easy pinch harmonics and classic good guitar tone.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X