25.5" / 24.75" fret space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25.5" / 24.75" fret space

Correct me if I am wrong but a 25.5" guitar neck is 3/4 of an inch (19mm) longer than a 24.75 guitar neck. How is this difference divided up along the fretboard? Is it through all of the frets or just the last few. Having a slightly longer neck I am thinking that all of the frets are spaced further apart.
    I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

Yes, all the frets are spaced according to the scale. Remember, there's notes all along the length of the string, not just where the frets are. When the string is longer, there's more tension on the string and the spacing of the notes is different, thus the frets are moved in order to intonate to those notes.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Cool! Never thought of it that way, and probably never would. Hat's off.

Comment

The neck is not 3/4" longer... The distance from nut to bridge is 3/4" longer.

So, not counting for intonation compensation, a Strat should measure about 25.5" from the nut to a saddle, and a Gibson about 24 3/4".

It's definitely a little more cramped up around the 15th fret + on a short-scale, for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          The neck is not 3/4" longer... The distance from nut to bridge is 3/4" longer.
          +1

Neck length has nothing to do with scale length. A 21 fret 25.5" scale neck would be shorter than a 24 fret 24.75" scale neck.

And for the record, I'm fine with either scale length.

Comment

It's definitely a little more cramped up around the 15th fret + on a short-scale, for me.
            Getting comfy on those high frets is all about the frets - go tall and skinny and you'll have a lot more room to boogie up high.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Wow! It sure does. I just measured a Fender and a Dean ML and you are exactly right.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Getting comfy on those high frets is all about the frets - go tall and skinny and you'll have a lot more room to boogie up high.
                I can get by with the Super Jumbo stuff on a Strat but it's mighty crowded on a short-scale.

Comment

I can get by with the Super Jumbo stuff on a Strat but it's mighty crowded on a short-scale.
                  On my '63 SG Special, it's fretted with Super Jumbos (6100s) up to 12, then thinner 6105s the rest of the way, ala Jake E Lee.

Comment

If you want even more space, you could go to a 26" scale. I think Jeff Loomis' signature Schecter model has that scale.
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X