Wiring parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring parts

For the Model 6 (HSS) I'm going to use SD Distortion (B), Duckbucker (M), and Little '59 (N). All 4 conductor. Using just a volume and a rotary switch. I may get a Triple Shot ring for the HB but that'll be later. I want to wire all 3 for a coil split now. SD site has diagram for 3 hb, 1 vol, 5 way here http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...atic=3lh_1v_5w
    and has the same with coil split but has a tone as well here http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...c=1lil1v1t5w3s . Do I just get rid of the tone pot and 2 wires from it?

Also, 250K or 500K volume pot? I'm thinking 500K.

Also, No active electronics, I only need a mono jack, right? Should I just get a stereo and wire it mono in case I need more later? Any problem with that?

Also, Anyone know where I can get shielded 4 conductor wire for less that a buck a foot (stewmac)? This is really getting fucking expensive!!
    Thanks
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

If want to coil tap these you are going to need a special pickup selector (like the old Jackson ones from the JE-1200 circuits). This diag might be more what you are looking for. You should just be able to leave the tone pot off.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHHH5L1101

Comment

I'm a little confused why I have to use a special switch. Isn't that link basically doing the same thing as the second SD diagram link except the SD diagram uses a regular 5-way and a push/pull volume instead of the special switch? I'm not using a blade switch. I'm using a rotary one with a knob so a fender super switch or a megaswitch is out. With the SD one, when the volume is down, normal full humbucker operation. Volume pulled up is basically a strat with 3 single coils. And the rotary 5-way switches between B-M-N with the volume up or down. That's what I'm looking for. What am I missing?:think:

Comment

Sorry I didn't see the second diag.

Yeah, just get rid of the tone pot and use the push pull pot + the rotary instead of the super selector.

Since you are using one pot a 250k will be fine, but have a 500k if you want even less bleed.

Mono jack is fine. Use a stereo jack if you like, just be sure to hook it to the correct side. They act as a circuit switch in the powered guitars, so look at those citcuits and only wire up the stuff that is not related to the powered circuit.

Comment

Thanks bratfink. I just looked through some stuff I have and I have a mono switchcraft jack, a 500K push-pull, and some wire I didn't know I had so I don't need to buy as much as thought. I'll try the 500K and see how it sounds. Easy swap if it's too bright.
          Thanks.

Comment

I'm having frustrating problems getting this wired. For a reminder, SD Distortion bridge, Duckbucker middle, and Little '59 Neck. All 4 conductor. Using a volume with push pull for coil split on all 3. And a 5 way, 4 pole rotary switch. I just want normal strat switching. Vol pot pushed in, normal HB sound... Pulled out, strat single coil sound. I'm not doing weird crap with the switch, just using 1 wafer (2 poles). I'm going by this diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...c=1lil1v1t5w3s and here's a layout of the switch http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron..._Switches.html

I'm having trouble relating the connections at the strat switch to where they should go on the rotary. I know the strat switch is internally jumped for position 2 and 4 and I'll have to use jumpers for that. Each pole on the rotary has 5 inputs and 1 output (the long one). I know which inputs are hot with what position of the switch. But what pickup wires go to which lug? Help please...

Comment

It's not possible to use this rotary switch for strat switching because you cant wire it in a way so the connections arent permanent. Everything you connect via jumpers will stay connected all the time and is effectively like soldering everything to the same lug. You're only extending the lug so to say. The rotary switch itself has to have the in-between positions, it would have only 4 lugs instead of 6.
              Last edited by max; 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Shit. I see what you mean. That's what i was figuring after the problems I was having. Does anyone know of a rotary switch that has the strat type switching? I really don't want a blade or toggle on this guitar.

Comment

Actually, that rotary switch can have 5 outputs and 1 input on each wafer.

Hermetico at the Duncan forum is really the Wiring Master. Dude knows more about guitar wiring than anyone I've ever seen!

Anyhoo, basically you can wire the rotary switch any way you want, including standard Strat-style switching (though having used a rotary switch, I can tell you that you're better off with a blade if all you want is Standard 5-way).

Each long tab of each section is hardwired directly to the contacts of that section and no other. Connecting two sections via the long tabs will merge those two sections.

You can connect your Output To Jack wires to those long tabs and the pickup wires to the section contacts, or you can connect each pickup to a long tab and route jumpers from the section contacts to the one remaining section's tabs, and that section's long tab to the jack.

However, where I think you're going to have trouble is getting all 3 pickups split using only one push-pull. You can split them all at once, but you'll never get just one split and the others not.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hahaha, fuck, Newc is right.

Comment

I guess it should look something like this:

Comment

I think I have it figured out. I drew it up and gonna wire it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works. I want them all split at the same time so this should work.

PS, I thought all 4 poles were wired together. Like all the 0's are connected, all the 1's, etc. That's where I had it fucked up. Now I know...

Comment

Worked perfect. Only 900 jumpers too. lol. I have 2 guitars in 1 now. Sounds fucking amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                            Worked perfect. Only 900 jumpers too. lol. I have 2 guitars in 1 now. Sounds fucking amazing!!
                            Good to hear. What exactly did you do?

Cause I ordered one of those rotary switches only last week to make some kind of tone switch with the oil caps I have. But this two-story thing is way too big for that and it's also confusing the hell out of me. So I'm looking for alternatives what I could do with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X