Jackson pickup covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson pickup covers

So....how are these held in place? That '88 Jackson strat has one, and it keeps sliding up out of place and into the strings. It's driving me batty. So, what's the deal? I think I recall something about wax? Or is it friction? Hot melt glue? Van der Waals forces?!? How do you fix these things?????
    Last edited by Axewielder; 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM.

Glue is what I think...Some type that is gooey like a hot glue gun.

Comment

I think it's wax.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Some type of glue, I think. I just remember using Elmer's glue to put the cover back on my old Model 5A and it worked fine.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Best thing to use is a small dab of clear silicone. That was you can remove it in the future if you need to.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
            Best thing to use is a small dab of clear silicone. That was you can remove it in the future if you need to.
            That sounds like the ticket, thanks. I used to have an aquarium and may actually have a tube of that stuff around somewhere...

Comment

Yep its silicone.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So what is the best way to remove a pickup cover?

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                  So what is the best way to remove a pickup cover?
                  Give the pickup to me. I'll separate them, and send the cover back to you pronto.

Well, depends on the cover. If it's silicone, I'd imagine you just pull them apart. Some covers are held up simply by friction. The ones on my pickups have little ears on the sides so they screw on to the pickups themselves (through the mounting holes). Can't really imagine how you'd remove glue, because there's different kinds of glue. Pulling apart would not cause any real damage, apart from maybe a few glue marks left over, if the glue isn't any strong, but then again you could completely bugger your cover up if its glued on tight. See if there's any play, and go on from there. 'If it ain't workin', hit it with a hammer!' is what I say.
                  Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                  Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Working...
                  X