Rosewood fret board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosewood fret board

Ok need some help. I have a 2007 KVX10 (7 digits- 97xxxxx). When I got it I did my own setup and it played VERY nice. I had the bridge (JT 590 I think?) as low as it would go, and had thought about shimming the neck to get it lower, but decided it was fine as is. I've changed the strings several times (9-42 always), and never had an issue. Last week I changed the strings again, tuned up to a440, no worries. I had went to a friends home to jam some, and it rode in the backseat of my car in a gigbag for about an hour, yes, it was placed so there was no strain on the neck or head (if I start playing out regularly again HSC GAS is in the future). We decided to help out the singer by tuning down from e to d, but before I did I thought I'd play it some. It was fretting on whole step bends (high e only, no fretting on g or b) from 15 to 21. I went ahead and tuned down, and re-set the bridge, raising it to get rid of the fretting problem. Neck relief is minimal, action is still low, but not to my liking. My questions are these: 1.Could it just be that E string alone is bad in some way? (Sounds far fetched to me, but it is a thought) 2.I know rosewood is common, but is fretting problems abound with them? It doesnt look like the frets are pulling up in any way and there is virtually NO wear on them either. 3.Could the temp change (about 10-15 deg F) affect them in such a way? I've never had a problem like this with maple or ebony, but I had it with rosewood (an OLD Kramer back in the day, and it was about 2 years old then too.)
    I'm pretty bummed about it, and before I take it in to a pro I thought I'd check the pros here for an opinion or two, and yes I will be going to a heavier gauge string after I figure this out and fix it. I'm hoping that a 2 year old MIJ guitar doesn't need recrowned and dressed, but thats what I'm thinking. Not the whole neck, just where it's fretting out. Thanks in advance, you guys rule.
    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Not following you entirely? Did you tune down, and then have problems, or did you have problems and not tune down.

If you tuned down, the strings are exerting less pressure on the neck, and the neck can "relax" or straighten/backbow. That can cause some buzzing, or fretting out - but typically in the lower frets.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Sorry, this was before I tuned down.
      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

There's nothing about Rosewood that would make a guitar more or less likely to fret out, or not hold a setup - so its not the fretboard.

More likely, the setup drifted over time and you only just noticed it. I would just do a setup to get it playing well again.
        Blank yo!

Comment

I did, and thanks for the quick replies dude. I went ahead and raised the action a lil', but I'm going on to bed. will mess with it some more tommorrow. Thanks for the quick replies. Like I said before, you guys rule.

Comment

No problem. As with anything. Having it hand will tell you if there's something else going on like a high fret or something like that.
            Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
            X