Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a source for a crack pipe...

...wrench.

This is for that '88 Jackson Strat I'm working on. The truss rod nut looks to be 1/4". I got my wrenches from Stew Mac, and they are just not getting the job done:

It's just too damn tall. Also, they are kind of thick and require too much clearance. Surely there is a better solution out there!

Looks like the ones Stew Mac are selling now have a taper to them, but still look kinda tall to me. The ones at Allparts would seem to be shorter, based on the pics.

Comment

Carvin sells one also http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...uct=TR1&cid=42 It looks to be shorter than what you have . If I can find the ones I have I will measure it .
      Mike
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Mine have 1 3/4" long pipes and the inside appears to be 9/32"

Got a cut-off wheel you can shorten the StewMacs with?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Mine have 1 3/4" long pipes and the inside appears to be 9/32"

Got a cut-off wheel you can shorten the StewMacs with?

I thought of that, but I'd have to cut them at the back end and weld that handle back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88 View Post
            Carvin sells one also http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...uct=TR1&cid=42 It looks to be shorter than what you have . If I can find the ones I have I will measure it .
            +1 on these. Got one years ago and it works perfectly.

Comment

I checked the size of the truss rod wrench that came with my Dimebolt (which also fits my DK2 and looks identical to the wrench in your pic) with a digital caliper. I tried a 9/32 inch box-end ignition wrench and it wouldn’t fit. I found that a 7 mm socket or the box-end of a 7 mm ignition wrench works well and there is very little play so you won’t damage the brass truss rod nut.

Since you probably don’t have an ignition wrench set I suggest using a ¼ inch drive 7 mm socket with a wobble bar extension and ratchet. I didn’t even have to loosen the locking nut or D and G strings—pretty cool and a lot faster than the truss rod wrench. You can get a wobble bar extension set at Harbor Freight--you’ll need it to adjust the truss rod with a socket—a straight extension won’t allow the socket to seat on the truss rod nut.

I have a 74 kb pic of the tools. If someone wants to post the pic I will send it to your email addy. Pm me and I will send it.

Comment

All my older bolt on and neck through U.S.A. Jackson were and are 1/4 inch. I still have and use the one I got from Carvin. All parts also has 1/4 inch pipes.

Comment

Cool thanks, I snagged one from Carvin's site. Trussrod, I appreciate it but you seem to be off in the weeds a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                    I checked the size of the truss rod wrench that came with my Dimebolt (which also fits my DK2 and looks identical to the wrench in your pic) with a digital caliper. I tried a 9/32 inch box-end ignition wrench and it wouldn’t fit. I found that a 7 mm socket or the box-end of a 7 mm ignition wrench works well and there is very little play so you won’t damage the brass truss rod nut.

Since you probably don’t have an ignition wrench set I suggest using a ¼ inch drive 7 mm socket with a wobble bar extension and ratchet. I didn’t even have to loosen the locking nut or D and G strings—pretty cool and a lot faster than the truss rod wrench. You can get a wobble bar extension set at Harbor Freight--you’ll need it to adjust the truss rod with a socket—a straight extension won’t allow the socket to seat on the truss rod nut.

I have a 74 kb pic of the tools. If someone wants to post the pic I will send it to your email addy. Pm me and I will send it.

For the record, the main reason for this is not that the 7mm wrench universally fits J/C instruments better, but that Imported guitars are usually buiilt using the metric system. a 7mm wrench can and will strip the truss rod nut on a USA Jackson, been there, done that

USA Jacksons have a 1/4" nut.

Comment

I use a shallow (standard) 1/4" drive socket on a nut driver handle to do truss rods like these.

You cannot put the socket on the nut driver and get it on the truss rod nut, it won't go.

You have to put the socket on the truss rod nut, then insert the handle's square tip partway into the socket.

Sounds like you've got it handled, though... Good luck!

Comment

You can try here: http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gnstore/tools.html

They 7 mm, 8 mm, 1/4 in and 5/16 in wrenches.

Comment

Working...
                        X