No announcement yet.

(WR1 truss rod) Does this look normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (WR1 truss rod) Does this look normal?

I have a trans green WR1, which i finally have money and time to set up now. Apart from the worn down R3 locking nut (which buzzes badly on the B) the neck i assume from testing has a backward bow, giving me no relief at all on the neck. (fretting 1st and 14th ends with the low E resting on every string inbetween.)

So I removed the truss rod cover to loosen it (guides seem to indicate that this is the cure for back-bow). I was confronted initially with empty space where the truss rod nut usually stands.
    However the nut is actually sunk in much lower than i have seen before, and it seems to be a different type to what i have seen before in my limited experience.
    I do not normally adjust my trust rods, i have always had a tech do it. So I claim ignorance when it comes to this area.

^^ ??????

I found an allen key (!) which fitted the slot neatly, and i loosened it 1/2 a turn in total. During the turn the nut seemed to come away from the rod, as if it had just unscrewed. The relief didnt really change much, i have 'some' space now between the strings and neck, however there is still buzz when fretting between the 2nd and 7th frets on most strings.
    The nut did tighten back onto the rod, but that seems to suggest that i can only tighten it??

The guitar was bought as new, despite it being a stock item for some time. This is all i know of its history.

Any help appreciated!

You'll want to make sure you have the strings tuned up to pitch when measuring the relief (I guess you loosened em all up in that pic for some reason?). If the information you are providing is good, that is if the guitar has no relief when tuned to pitch and the truss is loose, that is tough situation. Most Jacksons I've set up have one-way truss rods. So, the only solution I know of is to go with heavier strings. What gauge is on there now?

Comment

No i left the strings tuned to pitch when i measured relief and also whilst i adjusted the rod. I only removed the locks on the nut, but everything else was left as...
      I removed the strings later to remove the shim i placed under the nut yesterday.
      Thats when i took these pictures (it makes it easier to see of course!).

The guage on there is 9's, i was pretty hooked on using them too because 10s just feel too tight.

Comment

I've got at least two guitars that can't take lighter gauge strings, or they suffer from this same issue. Like I said, it's a tough one. Replaning the board and refretting is another option (albeit drastic). You might get a second opinion from the best tech/luthier you can find.

Comment

Isn't this the same TG WR1 with the fretboard crack?

I'm getting my tech to sort out a bow problem in the middle of the neck right now. I'm just glad I've got two WR1's. Tis the one with guage 10's with the problem, not the one with 9's.
          Last edited by wilkinsi; 11-24-2009, 11:25 PM.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Hey wilkinsi,
            yes its the same one.

Fullers denied me a refund after agreeing to take it back. Because i had to wait until payday to afford the shipping (you know how it is when you blow $2000). They said they had a strict returns policy and i had left it too long. Basically 5 weeks is all it takes to wash their hands free of faulty goods.

Take a look at that locking nut, theres huge lines in it...
            Thats a £45 replacement right there.

Fullers are jerks, seriously.

Comment

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Since when do USA Jacksons have only a 5 week warrany?!? I'z confuzed.

Comment

when they are shipped to the uk...

Comment

True
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Wilkinsi do your warriors truss rods look like mine?

Im just wondering if somethings been done to it...

Comment

Originally posted by Digitised View Post
                        Damn didn't know that. Shit.

Comment

TBH, I've had far better dealings with JCF members. Ebay comes second, shops have always come last in my book.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by Digitised View Post
                            This is, left the way it stands, wholly incorrect.

A Jackson bought in the UK from a licensed UK dealer has the same warranty it has everywhere else.

What you have here is a shifty dealer with rigid policies that has a bit of a reputation as a douchenozzle anyway. The only reason he can get away with it is because it would be too expensive for you to litigate.

This is the primary risk one takes by becoming the Importer of an instrument in lieu of purchasing it through the official, established channels of your locale. The upside it it costs less when everything does go right

Comment

Working...
                            X