Guitar neck width.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar neck width.

I've always been pretty versatile when it came to the shape and size of neck I am comfortable with. I can get along with most except the ultra thin which cramp my hand, and those V-shaped necks that you find on some Strats and Washburns. However, on various occasions, it has occurred to me, to pull out my vernier gauge, and measure the neck width (at the nut) of my various guitars. My Aria Pro II CS-400 is pretty wide and flat at 1.733 inches, slightly wider than my Aria LP at 1.711. Surprisingly, my Lado Lazer has the narrowest neck of any of my guitars at 1.670. I just measured the neck of the guitar I'm currently building, and it's a shockingly wide 1.783! The neck came off a Washburn HM-20V. Keep in mind, that's 45mm, a full 2mm wider than an Ibanez RG neck. Jackson advertises the neck width of most models at 1.6875, which is relatively narrow, and almost as narrow as my LP Deluxe at 1.686.

There are some I haven't measured yet, but here they are organized thinnest to widest:

Lado Lazer 1.670
    Gibson LP Deluxe 1.686
    Standard Jackson 1.6875
    Ibanez RG 1.693
    Aria Pro II LP (LS700) 1.711
    Peavey Odyssey 1.713
    Aria Pro II CS-400 1.733
    Washburn HM-20V 1.783

I think if I had to choose a favorite, I'd go with the CS-400. I really like the comfort of the narrower necks, but I find the string spacing a little tight, and I don't have small fingers.

So, what's your preferred neck width?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

1 5/8" @ the nut, 2 1/4" @ the butt.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
    X