String tension issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String tension issues?

Alright so Ive got many guitars... all but three are Floyded. but this post is refrencing the Floyd guitars.

I set up all my guitars the same, with the same DiAddario 9-42 strings that I always use, same (or atleast close) action. The main thing I notice is differences in string tensions between guitars in the same tuning. Some are nice and slinky, and some are very tight. I personally like the slinky feel, so thats what I shoot for.

The only main thing I can see affecting the string tension if all else is equal is the trem springs. Setting up my new Soloist Pro the other night, I noticed that theres much more string tension than my Model 2, yet both guitars are setup identical. So what gives? Is it mainly the trem springs affecting the feel?
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

I would think it's mainly the springs, as they tend to break in and stretch after awhile. Also, you could try removing a spring to give it a slinkier feel.
    I always used four or five springs in my Floyds, as it makes the bar harder to push down and gives a stiffer feel, but I've seen some people use only two springs.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      I would think it's mainly the springs, as they tend to break in and stretch after awhile. Also, you could try removing a spring to give it a slinkier feel.
      I always used four or five springs in my Floyds, as it makes the bar harder to push down and gives a stiffer feel, but I've seen some people use only two springs.
      Say you have a guitar with a floating Floyd, 3 springs, tuned to standard pitch, and the Floyd baseplate is set level with the body. You decide to remove 1 spring. Now the Floyd is leaning forward due to the reduced spring tension as a result of removing one spring. The trem claw now has to be screwed in tighter to increase the tension of the 2 remaining springs to get the Floyd baseplate back to level with the strings tuned to standard pitch. Theoretically, doeasn't the Floyd now have the same tension (and consequently feel the same) with 2 springs as it did with 3?

Comment

Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
        Theoretically, doeasn't the Floyd now have the same tension (and consequently feel the same) with 2 springs as it did with 3?

Not exactly. Yes, it has the same tension when everything's level and you're not bending a string. But once you start bending a string, the 2 springs will give more than the 3, even though the 2 springs are stretched further. At least that's what I think. And all the springs need to be similar for this to work. The "k" constant of the springs come into play. Geez, I'm nerdin this up thread beyond recognition. Who's currently taking physics 101 to help us out on this?!
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

The tone of a string is determined by the tension and the length (and some physical parameters of the string, but you said it's the same brand of string). If you keep the length fixed, the only way to achieve a certain pitch is to have a certain tension.

Comment

That is absolutely true, but what changes when you switch the number of springs or install springs of different stiffness is the "perceived tension". The trem will rock forward more readily when you make a bend. The strings feel like they have less tension, but what you are really doing is diving the trem just a little bit more as you bend. Because of this, you actually have to bend the string a bit more to make the same raise in pitch, but you perceive it as having less tension.
            Last edited by dg; 11-19-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Same scale length on all as well?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Obviously the M2 and SL Pro are the same scale length, but then you also have an ebony board on the SL compared to rosewood on the M2, as well as a better grade of maple for the neck and/or better trussrod. That translates to a neck that's less prone to bending forward when string tension is increased during a bend.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Neck relief is also said to affect the stiffness feel of the string - i.e. more or less relief is said to add to the slinkier feel.

I've read about this, but never experimented with it so I can't speak from personal experience. I think Dan Erlewine talks about this in his books as well.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

dg, you are of course right that there are some interaction effects with the springs of the trem when you go from one tone to another by bending the string--I myself prefer fixed bridges in part because of this. But my point was that when you have reached the tone, the tension should be the same if the length is the same. But of course the length between the fret and the nut will also change slightly as the trem lifts. As others have pointed out, the neck may also add to this.
                    Last edited by javert; 11-19-2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

What does any of this have to do with wether or not the plane will take off??

Comment

One other thing not readily obvious is how far from the fulcrum point the saddles sit. They need to be in the right place for intonation, but the positioning of the pillars dictates how far back or forward the saddles have to be vis a vis the bridge plate to achieve that. A bridge with the saddles towards the headstock will have a more sensitive feel and tip forward (i.e. fighting against you) more when you bend a string, so it will appear like the strings are stiffer.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                          :ROTF:

I can't honestly say I've ever felt a difference other than attributed to scale length, or lack of a Floyd Rose (it's much easier to bend strings near the nut on a hardtail). :dunno:

Comment

floyd post positions vs. saddles and neck tension are most likely the cause of what you are experiencing... different guitars feel different. its the nature of the beast.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                              We need another one of those threads! :ROTF:
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X