Turd polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turd polishing

Okay obviously people like RacerX think that the JS and X series guitars are junk and shouldn't be upgraded. But for those of us who don't have $1500+ to spend what is too much? I mean changing necks and bridges... pickups...? What is actually worth it? Do pickups really make that much difference or how much is it just name brand marketing? I personally think my "POS" Jackson pups in my JS30WR sound pretty decent.

Dude you can buy decent made in japan jacksons for the money you will spend to polish your turd.

I've seen Dk2s go for 250 bucks. If i were you I'd sell whatever Jackson I have and add the money I would spend for modifications to that and buy a japanese..

Good luck
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Thanks for the advice but I don't want a dinky. I love the Warrior body shape. And I like my JS because it's a TOM instead of a floyd.

Comment

Well then I would go for a WRXT
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Actually I plan on getting a trans red WRXT for my next axe.

Comment

The newer X series are very good guitars that may or may not need pickup upgrades depending on your tastes and the model you buy. I wouldn't buy anything older than 2001.
            I wouldn't spend the money in upgrading the JS series myself.
            http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4552
            Ron himself says positive things about the JS series.

Comment

Ron also owns a KVX10, IIRC
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Hell, it's YOURS..if ya like it enough to upgrade it...do it. Screw what anyone else thinks. If not, sell it, and get some funds for a bit better one you don't have to upgrade. Thats cool too! It's YOURS..do what YOU want.

Comment

who cares what other ppl think , its your guitar and your money you do what you want with it man , just keep rockin!

Comment

Who said anything was wrong with the X-series? I'd definitely stay away from the JS series unless you're a beginner or looking for a guitar on which to practice your modding skills. In my experience, the quality of the necks is just not good at all.
                    Scott

Comment

IIRC, Ron had good things to say about the JS30 series when they introduced them at NAMM.
                      Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

quality of components is the biggest difference. even when the pickups are the same. the bridge, tuning keys, pots, switch, wiring, input jack, etc... are almost always low grade on the lower grade guitars.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i agree that its yours and you should do what you feel is best, but i also agree that js series are junk. as someone else noted, the necks just dont feel ..... well.... like a jackson. the X series, depending on which one you get are pretty good. now,

if you wanna just upgrade the js, then yes the pickups will make a big difference. the stock ones may sound good, but a soft taco is good...a soft taco supreme is better. i personally would replace the neck, but then we get to what Rich#6 said.

its really up to you as to what it needs, but if you're tryin to get close to a $1500 jackson level than the JS isnt gonna cut it. its almost like tryin to make a data entry person act like a CEO.

hope i didnt offend anyone, just being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRED924 View Post
                            Okay obviously people like RacerX think that the JS and X series guitars are junk and shouldn't be upgraded. But for those of us who don't have $1500+ to spend what is too much? I mean changing necks and bridges... pickups...? What is actually worth it? Do pickups really make that much difference or how much is it just name brand marketing? I personally think my "POS" Jackson pups in my JS30WR sound pretty decent.
                            Look, newb, I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth.

You can see all my JCF bros came to my defense. I was pretty excited when the JS shape series (24 fret Rhoads for the masses, yay!) came out - until we found out where they were made. Actually, someone bumped my old thread so you can read it for yourself. Too bad some of the pics are gone, they were hilarious. I had grandiose plans involving getting a JS30WR and modding it with a different neck, pups, etc. Eventually I came to the conclusion - like NextinLine advised you here - that's it's just not cost effective.

You like your JS Warrior: that's great, just save up for your next, better Jackson. WRT to the WRXT, IMO it is pretty crappy, especially the early ones, so I am steering you away from that model (it is barely 1 step above JS). I'm not gonna bore you with what Warriors I have had or still had, yadda yadda, I will tell you I've never spent anywhere near $ 1500 on a guitar, just look at my post count & my start date and read some of my old threads before you cast aspersions. :idea:
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My bad Racer... I didn't mean to "put words in your mouth". I know I'm a noob, thanks for pointing that out. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
                              Last edited by BIGRED924; 11-17-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X