Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings

It was time to replace the strings, so I put on some Fender NPS Super Bullets in 52 42 32 17 13 10. The 010-052 is what it was supposed to have on it but it seems a lighter set was there instead, and I really liked them. I got the rig off Ebay

I wanted to have the factory strings, the Fender 3250RH was as close as I could get, the standard strings on all spring-trem Strats

Not really sure if I like the heavier style. Readjusting the spring tension on the trem was a pain but I got it dialed, had to resolder the ground wire as it pulled out, not enough slack when I ran the springs tighter.

Im used to DiAddario in EXL110, had these in my old Jackson.

What do you guys use?

I have used D'Addarios / GHs / Dean Markley / DR

My favorites are the DR strings.
    - at any given gauge, they have slightly lighter tension than other brands
    - feel great. Some other brands are too slippery when they are new
    - sound good
    - long lasting. I think the D'Addarios have shortest life in my experience... but string life depends in part on how your body chemistry reacts with the alloys

- Leo.

Comment

GHS Boomers 13-56 for my PC1 that is tuned down half a step and 12-52 for my other one that is tuned to 440.

I have been using GHS Boomers nearly 20 years now and they are just solid and reliable.

Some famous PC1 playing dude (wink, wink) convinced me many years ago that thicker was better and I must admit he was right!
      Last edited by vklobucar; 11-15-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

wow 12's at 440 you must have strong hands i struggle bending 10s at 440

Comment

I worked my way up.

I pretty much started out with 10's when I started playing some 20 years ago so 11's followed by 12's was not that much of a stretch..

And as for the 13's, given that the guitar is half a step down, they pretty much feel like 12's really.

I just have a thing for really heavy strings and fat chunky necks too. It is pretty much impossible to break a string at that gauge as well.

Comment

D'addarios, tuned standard E, 0.10.
            Have tried other stuff, but keep returning.
            If I get a hartail guitar or something, I might try something stupid, but since all my guitars have tremolos I don't. Don't want to fuck up the balance.
            '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
            '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
            '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
            '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
            '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
            '13 Gibson M-III
            Taylor 214CE
            Dean 6-string Bass
            Morgan Ukulele

Comment

I favour Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9s/Pinks). It's what Vigier recommend for their guitars.

A pro guitar guy recommended DR in very very praising terms to me. Said they were the best strings he ever used. Keep meaning to try them out. Plus, they make 'em in Hot Pink:

= WIN!
              http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I've used everything.. BUT.. in the last 10 years or more, I haven't used anything but the DR Strings.. Black Beauties 9s on everything..my sig Nocturne models, my PRS 20th Anniv, 69 LP, G&L, Ibanez Prestige..
                I teach about 45-50 students a week and I gig and record, etc.. the strings sound better and for longer than any brand I've ever used.
                DiMarzio Endorsee
                www.dimarzio.com
                Morley Endorsee
                www.morley.com
                "Intelli-Shred" author
                www.myspace.com/intellishred
                NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post

- sound good
                  - long lasting. I think the D'Addarios have shortest life in my experience... but string life depends in part on how your body chemistry reacts with the alloys

- Leo.
                  +1

DR Strings forever!
                  Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I have used SIT's for many years, recently been having to actually buy some (instead of old store stock) and am using Super Slinky's for the past 6 months.
                    Meh, OK, not much better than the Fender XL's I used to use.

On the advise of the maestro, I will give DR's a shot.

It is nearly always .010's or .011's on my electrics.
                    I tried .009's, my technique is still too heavy for them.
                    (Oh! Snap!!!)
                    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Ease of play I prefer EB SS 9's, tone wise I prefer D'A 10's. Both guitars are tuned to E standard @ 440hz.
                      Last edited by wilkinsi; 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

I hate the new strings, feels like a stiff acoustic rig now, and way too heavy.

I'm not even going to lower the action now to comp for the extra tension, just going to wait a bit till these go, then try some DR's

Comment

ON my original, PC-1, I put 9s on it after the 10s got nasty. Yes, it took some tweaking of the trem to get it dialed in, but it was fun to get the experience of adjusting the trem claw.

I keep 10s on my new one, mainly because the guys I jam with gave me such a hard time about having 9s on my guitars. I keep 10s on all of mine now for consistency and better tone.

As far as brand, I have no favorite.

- E.
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post

- sound good

- Leo.

I love them too!

Hmm, that`s why they seemed easier(floppy) to play..
                            Gotta go 1 gauge up! :P
                            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                              GHS Boomers 13-56 for my PC1 that is tuned down half a step and 12-52 for my other one that is tuned to 440.

I have been using GHS Boomers nearly 20 years now and they are just solid and reliable.

Some famous PC1 playing dude (wink, wink) convinced me many years ago that thicker was better and I must admit he was right!
                              I use Boomers too. Good strings.

I use GHS Boomers in 10-52 on my DK2 tuned to D and 9-46s on my Soloist. I use 11-52s on my Fender Strat.

For my 7-string I currently have Di'Addario 9-59s but I'm going to do a custom gauge set next. I'm thinking a 10-52 or 11-56 set and then a .064 gauge seventh string. I like high tension on my seven.
                              "Dear Dr. Bill,
                              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Working...
                              X