Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody notice tone change when locking nut is unlocked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody notice tone change when locking nut is unlocked?

Hi Guys,

Anybody else noticed it?

I changed strings on my DK2LE, and I usually play my floyd-ed guitars for a few days with the nut unlocked before putting them back on.

It was sounding really nice... then I put the locking nuts back on... still sounds good, but it's definitely different.

Can't quite put my finger on what the difference is, but it was definitely there, as I was startled for a sec like "whoa... what happened?" kinda difference. It's not the "subtle ... not sure if I heard it" kinda thing.

Just an interesting thing I noticed...

- Leo.

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post
    Hi Guys,

Anybody else noticed it?

I changed strings on my DK2LE, and I usually play my floyd-ed guitars for a few days with the nut unlocked before putting them back on.

It was sounding really nice... then I put the locking nuts back on... still sounds good, but it's definitely different.

Can't quite put my finger on what the difference is, but it was definitely there, as I was startled for a sec like "whoa... what happened?" kinda difference. It's not the "subtle ... not sure if I heard it" kinda thing.

Just an interesting thing I noticed...

- Leo.
    When you lock it down it changes the transfer of the vibration of the strings to the headstock hence the change in over all tone.

Comment

buy another DK2LE keep one locked and one unlocked best of both worlds
      "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

If you believe Yngwie, he claims Floyd "has it all wrong" and an unlocked nut allows those big CBS headstocks to generate tons of fjoocking tone.

Comment

Yngwie is so full of shit his eyes are brown.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Feel changes too. Strings have a looser feel with the nut unlocked. With the nut unlocked as compared to locked, you don't have to exert as much pressure when bending a string to a given pitch, but the string has to travel further vertically on the fretboard.

Comment

I found this last night too. Sounds slightly tinny or less full when locked. Very noticeable.
              http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Everytime when I lock the clams after tuning, I have to retune with the fine tuners. The pressure on the strings is a bit different when you lock it.

Comment

^^ I understand the padlock, but how do you tune a Clam?? Fork to the shell and a strobostomp underneath? :think:

Comment

mmm..clam chowder

Comment

Working...
                    X