Getting a new bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new bridge

I plan on ordering a new Schaller Floyd Rose for my Soloist Pro this weekend. My current bridge is shot to hell so I figure the best thing to do would be to get a new one.. Who would have thought..

Anyways, I was wondering if it's just going to be a simple swap and I'll just have to set the intonation and action? Anything to be weary of?

Oh, and does anyone happen to know the nut size (R_) for the Soloist Pros? Also As far as I'm aware, Warmoth is the cheapest place to get the Schaller Floyds, anyone know of anywhere else cheaper?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

It should drop right in, and you'll just need to intonate it. I usually "ballpark" mine by comparing to the one I'm removing, and then it's just a matter of very small tweaks. The last one I did, I measured with calipers and didn't have to intonate at all once it went on the guitar. The nut you want is an R3, but be aware that it may not be an exact height match for the original one, so some modding may be necessary.

Comment

R3 for locking nut.

Be sure to replace the studs aswell! They are crucial for keeping the trem in tune. The old ones are probably shot aswell. You can keep the old bushings though, just screw the new studs in .

Two more things:
      -Floyd studs should be very tight in the bushings. Any movement and floyd won't keep 100% in tune. You can use plumbers tape around the threads on studs to make the fit better.
      -Put some chapstick on the contact between floyd knives and studs.

Very easy task altogether .

Comment

Ah thank you guys for the help! I ordered it today and ir should be here around tuesday. I've always heard about the chapstick thing, I'm a real nut about guitars staying in tune, and my bridge is just completely shot. I'm hoping that this will be a nice refreshment for floyds because I'm pretty sick of tuning instability.
        The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Most likely the nut is going to be way too tall. Best to let someone with a router & a jig handle that if you want the shelf cut down to the proper depth for a real OFR nut.

Or, you can modify the Floyd nut (grind it down) if you want to be able to put the old hardware back on it.

Also, the top-mount screw holes in the import nut may not be in the same place as the ones on the OFR nut. That's actually easy to fix if you're good with a drill.

I don't have experience with a lot of different years of import Jacksons so I'm not for sure which models have which kind of nuts on them but both my Fusion HH ('92) and SL2 ('96) had a nut about 1 mm shorter than an OFR and the top mount holes were WAY off, like, the OFR nut would be hanging off one side if you didn't re-drill the holes.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            Most likely the nut is going to be way too tall. Best to let someone with a router & a jig handle that if you want the shelf cut down to the proper depth for a real OFR nut.

Or, you can modify the Floyd nut (grind it down) if you want to be able to put the old hardware back on it.

Also, the top-mount screw holes in the import nut may not be in the same place as the ones on the OFR nut. That's actually easy to fix if you're good with a drill.

I don't have experience with a lot of different years of import Jacksons so I'm not for sure which models have which kind of nuts on them but both my Fusion HH ('92) and SL2 ('96) had a nut about 1 mm shorter than an OFR and the top mount holes were WAY off, like, the OFR nut would be hanging off one side if you didn't re-drill the holes.
            Is it possible to just use the same nut with the schaller floyd? It's not an OFR and it's the same one (unless I'm wrong) as the Jackson Schaller Floyd on my pro. I got the nut because Warmoth was giving them away for free with a purchase of a bridge. So I thought i'd have a spare, or possibly give it to someone on here.

Comment

Use the existing nut if you what, and it still works.

Comment

His original nut is made in Germany Schaller one, which is EXACTLY the same as OFR nut (just recently did a similar swap ).

So none of the above quoted is needed, Jacksons Shred .

Also, your old locking nut is probably worn too and causes tuning instability as well.

Better to replace everything (even the springs in the back!) and you'll have it like new .

Comment

That's very cool... So the JT590 uses a standard OFR nut, and not a metric/import nut. Wasn't sure about that, but it will make the swap a lot easier.

Comment

That's very cool... So the JT590 uses a standard OFR nut, and not a metric/import nut. Wasn't sure about that, but it will make the swap a lot easier.
                    Yep. JT590 is a Schaller made in Germany trem with Jackson logo. Ofcourse they used the made in Germany Schaller locking nuts with them.

And Schaller locking nut = Original Floyd Rose locking nut.

Comment

Is swapping the locking nut a easy task? I know, I'm pitiful.

Comment

Extremely easy, as long as it is an exact match. It's just mounted with 2 screws. If there are any shims under it, just use them with the new nut.

Comment

Got the bridge today. Still setting everything up. The Nut fit, but the screws didn't. I tried to use the old screws but then the nut wiggled a little bit. I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

How did the screws not fit?

Too long?

Comment

How did the screws not fit?

Too long?
                              Too thick compared to the holes in the nut already.

Comment

Working...
                              X