Default RRxxxx's using bar string retainers?

How common is it to see a custom shop RRxxxx delivered with a bar string retainer? Ever seen one?

My personal view is that every tilt-back Jackson headstock should have one. Weird question, I know.

If you want it so badly, I'll just buy you one
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

There is really no need for one on a tilt back headstock that has a locking nut.If I buy a guitar with one that has a tilt headstock I take it off.I noticed kirk hammet has taken all his off his esps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BODOM View Post
    There is really no need for one on a tilt back headstock that has a locking nut.
    +1.

And if you find a guitar with one, it sometimes is a sign that it has had it's JT6 or Kahler behind-the-nut string lock converted to a Floyd-style nut. Some installers have put the string bar on there through ignorance and/or trying to hide the now-empty screw holes for old Kahler-style lock.

I don't agree. My 1997 Rhoads Pro and 1987 Soloist CS could use a string retainer (no big problem though). When locking the clamps for the low E and A string, it goes slightly sharp because the strings are not sitting flat on the locking nut base. The part of the string that is nearest the tuners is hovering just slightly over the locking base and when tightening the clamp fully, it presses on this part of the string = sharp.

A retainer would make the string have contact over the whole length of the locking base.

As a result I almost always tune my low E and sometimes my low A slightly flat with open clamps, because they will go sharp when tightening the clamps. I've talked with several Jackson guitarists having the same problem.
    Last edited by jackson1; 12-26-2007 at 05:26 PM.

The reason I asked about RR's in particular is because I was stunned when I saw that RR0030 has a retainer (aftermarket mod?):

I don't think that it's an aftermarket mod. It's probably a one-off or somethin' like that.

I think it's probably an aftermarket mod. I did the same thing to an old Yamaha I had.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by toejam View Post
    I think it's probably an aftermarket mod. I did the same thing to an old Yamaha I had.

Damn... why don't you just back up what I say,just for once?

Okay. :ROTF: Maybe it is a strange one-off... or something like those weird Taiwan or Indonesia Jacksons that had a sharkfin inlay on the 24th fret.

Much better

JCF (I have no life)Member zeegler's Avatar

I tend to agree with Toe on this one. It looks like it was a bit tricky getting it to fit due to the size and position of the truss rod cover. The mounting screws are set at pretty extreme angles.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Wow, RR0030? We need full guitar pix please

I've noticed that not all tilt headstocks are equal. I'm used to my USA Jacksons not going sharp when I lock the nut, but...when I tried to set up a RX10D (with a tilt headstock): it did in fact go a bit sharp when I locked it down.
    The battle's done
    And we kind of won
    So we sound our victory cheer
    Where do we go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Axewielder View Post
    I've noticed that not all tilt headstocks are equal. I'm used to my USA Jacksons not going sharp when I lock the nut, but...when I tried to set up a RX10D (with a tilt headstock): it did in fact go a bit sharp when I locked it down.
    Well, it does happen. That's why a Floyd has fine tuners anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by toejam View Post
    Well, it does happen. That's why a Floyd has fine tuners anyway.
    Hehe yeah I guess. The trouble is, with a Floyd, once I unlock the pressure pads, out of habit I usually loosen the fine tuners all the way out because strings tend to stretch and need tightening over time. But...if they go sharp...
    The battle's done
    And we kind of won
    So we sound our victory cheer
    Where do we go from here?

The fine tuners should be in the middle of their range when putting on new strings, that way you have room to move both ways to compensate for flat or sharp strings.

I hate string retainers, they cause lots of time loss while re-stringing & they never work for me. My Jacksons without the retainer go a tad (if any) sharp when I lock the nut and all the Ibanezs I've had with the friggin retainers always go sharp when I lock the nut. DUH
    Last edited by NextInLine; 12-27-2007 at 05:29 AM.