+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How good are Crate Amps???

What's up guys, I just wanted to know how good are Crate Amps compared to other companies (Marshall and Fender)??? How good is the GLX120, as from what I've read, they seem to be GREAT 120-watt amps with tons of effects, for under $500???

Default Re: How good are Crate Amps???

...that catch on fire.

Newc

Newc..

Is that Catch, or Get Set on Fire [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] HAHAHA!

Whats the differnce as long as a crate is burning to the ground [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

JCF (I have no life)Member jgcable's Avatar

Don't listen To Newc. He's a pyro.
    I have used Crate amps for years. Everything from their VC508 and VC30 to the BV120 and their solid state stuff. Crate distortion is so popular and recognizable that it actually appears on several modeling amps. I have never had a problem with anything made in St. Louis, MO.

JCF (I have no life)Member zeegler's Avatar

Pay no attention to the brand-name snobs. Crate actually makes some damn good stuff. Stay away from their early solid state stuff though, like the G600XL and whatnot, unless you like the sound of a nest of hornets on speed.

You're not getting Bogner tone with a Crate, but then again, you're paying a fifth of the price.

Honestly by far my 1st ??, ..2nd ???, ..3rd ?, 4th ?, 5th ?, ...maybe 6th ??...yeah 6th , 7th !!, hell why not 8th ??, scratch that ..it's the 9th!! , nope it's the 10th , ....ahhhh hell it's my 27th choice of a decent amp..could 28th choice ...

it's up there though ...for a good quality amp

have you ever tried the POD..???!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i cant say i like their solid state stuff, but the tube amps are quite good - remember what you pay for those thingys. the 120w tube head is actually surprisingly good imo. but the BIG one with 300w (or was it 350?) KILLS. REALLY loud, very versatile, and sounds really nice imho...you can buy another amp for what you've got to pay when changing power tubes, though ^^ i'm not sure but i can remember it having 8 12ax7 and 6 6550 tubes......thats right, six 6550s.....now thats power [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've always thought the Blue Voodoo series was pretty good actually. Thats really the only amp from Crate's line I could recommend if Your looking to play out or with a drummer. Have never had a Solid State amp that could cut through in a band situation.

I played a Crate 2x12 combo a friend had in the early '90s. It was okay from what I remember, and it was solid state.
    Can't recall if I've tried any of their other stuff.

Though, I do now own one of the new Crate compact 4x12 cabs with the metal speaker grill, and that thing sounds pretty good connected to either my Mesa F-30 combo or Fender RocPro 1000 head. I believe Stuka uses one of those cabinets with his 5150 head with great results, too.

I think a lot of people, myself included base their opinions of Crate on early models that were imho very sub par, they get stereotyped when in all actuality, they MAY make a great amp that no one knows about...myself included.

crate is grate!

hehheh, seriously though. they are a good cheaper amp.

Platinum Member
    Blog Entries

I use the GFX1200H full stack. It's 120 watts and is LOUD. Cuts through with a drummer just fine. I like the tone. I would prefer a Blue Voodoo head but until I can afford one, the GFX is great. Can't beat it for the price.

JCF (I have no life)Member StukaJU87's Avatar

[ QUOTE ]

Though, I do now own one of the new Crate compact 4x12 cabs with the metal speaker grill, and that thing sounds pretty good connected to either my Mesa F-30 combo or Fender RocPro 1000 head. I believe Stuka uses one of those cabinets with his 5150 head with great results, too.

[/ QUOTE ] I use two 4x12 Crate cabs with my 5150. They have a nice tone to them, to my ear. Mine don't have the metal grill. Mine are older and the grill is cloth and the logos were replaced with Marshall logos because I had a Valvestate 8100 head a couple years ago.

i like the vc15, vc30 for low gain stuff.
    it actually does a decent 80s tone with a distortion pedal in front of it.

but if you are looking for a solid state, i would go with peavey.

JCF (I have no life)Member jgcable's Avatar

[ QUOTE ]
    I use the GFX1200H full stack. It's 120 watts and is LOUD. Cuts through with a drummer just fine. I like the tone. I would prefer a Blue Voodoo head but until I can afford one, the GFX is great. Can't beat it for the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

The GFX has the patented Crate Flexwave distorion circuit. It's a nice super high gain distortion that has a similar tone to a Soldano SLO. The Crate Flexwave distortion is great for shredding. BTW... Malmsteen used to have a deal with Crate. I had the model he endorsed. It was a SS combo and was Celestion equipt. I have a Crate CA-60D acoustic amp with 2 channels and DSP for both. It does both vocals and acoustic/electric guitar at the same time. It sounds great and is very well made.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I use two 4x12 Crate cabs with my 5150. They have a nice tone to them, to my ear. Mine don't have the metal grill. Mine are older and the grill is cloth and the logos were replaced with Marshall logos because I had a Valvestate 8100 head a couple years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ah, cool. I know Crate still makes the compact cabs with the cloth grill as well. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I ordered mine from MF and I got a metal grill. I was on Crate's website and noticed they have the cloth grill and metal grill versions in different sections.

I have a BV120 and my only complaint is that I am in an apartment and the Damn thing shakes the paint off the walls [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].Well it is really more of a neighbors complaint [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When I went to buy my first amp after not playng for about 5 years, I tried out the Blue Voodoo head and really liked it. It was about 400.00 less than the Marhsall DSl so I decided to get it only I wanted a Red one and they had just come out with the Sammy Hagar Red Voodoo which was supposed to be the same thing.

I took it home and all the sudden, the thing was horrible and had so many noises that I took it right back and the sales guy was amazed. This one was a special order so it wa never played on, IT was so bad that they gave me the DSl for only 100.00 more so I took it.

I did get the matching Red Voodoo cab with it and I love it. It has Vintage 30's in it and it seems to be built a lot better than some of the newer Marshall cabs. I had to take it apart to make sure they were real Celestions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and I could tell it was made with birch and not some particle board crap.

Do they still even offer the Red Voodoo series? I know that Sammy Hagar had a new one desinged, but have heard nothing of it.

How is the Crate GLX120??? I hear that the Marshall MG Series suck, is this true???