Default Digitech GNX3 Opinions?

It seems this unit does a lot, 8 track recorder, modulations, drum samples. Can anyone offer an opinion on the quality of the sounds & usability of the GNX3?

Does it do a good Mesa Rectified emulation?

Default Re: Digitech GNX3 Opinions?

Guitar One Mag features the GNx3 with tab and tone settings of top songs every month. Seems to be very versatile and would probaby do a decent Mesa Rec sound.

The GNX4 is all about recording. It uses a different type of memory card that has more space on it, it has more outs for home or studio use, and programmable drum beats I believe. The GNX3 has more drum beats than I'll use and I don't really care about any of the other stuff either so I'm not bothering to upgrade.

Cool, thanks! I've been thinking of picking one up to start messing around and doing some home recording. Guess the GNX3 will be fine.

Glad I could help!

I've had mine since they came out and I love it! It has some great tones and the eight track recorder has almost an hour of recording time with the 128mb flash card. I use it at work ( I teach guitar in a tiny closet in the back of a local music store) and it is a great tool for teaching. One of the other teachers actually uses his for gigging. Check out Pauls Guitar Solo( Suicide Solution) at www.BelieverUSA.com to hear his live tone. Its a very poorly edited version of the song. They only included like 3:30 of the almost 12 minute version of the song that they did that night.

The stock Mesa patch is ok, but if you tweak it a bit you can come alot closer to a mesa sound.

Anyone know how the new GNX4 compares to the GNX3? It's like $200 more, I believe.

Hey Joe,
    What do you plug this thing it into? A clean Keyboard amp?? I got a Boss GT-5, that I use in my Mesa's effects loop, but I sometimes just plug into my 2 Roland KC-100 keyboard amps for stereo using the GT-5 pre-amps.
    Thanks
    Finn

What's the pitch shifter like? Can you do thirds? Does the shifted note sound like a real guitar or a synth?

Thanks

At work I use a 15 watt Ibeenhad practice amp and at home I would use a 50 watt peavey power amp into a Marshall 1960A cab(bought a Vetta so I hardly ever use it at home now). The clip in one of my posts is a GNX3 into a Marshall 100/100 power amp into 4 Marshall 4x12s. Paul(the guy in the clip) gets a great tone for live shows.

It has an intelligent pitch shifter that can do any interval in any key. It doesn't sound perfect but it's not that bad.

I wouldn't mind having a GNX3 or 4, but I still really like my RP300. Hey, it's good enough for now

Thanks for all of the replies. How are the drum machine settings on the GNX3?

They get the job done but they're nothing special.

Hey joe, I would assume that you have a seperate output for the drum machine/samples to your guitar signal? Is this how it works, so you can send the guitar signal to your amp and the other stuff straight to a PA? It would seem pretty useless otherwise.

I've enjoyed my GNX2 alot. I've got it plugged into the poweramp sec of Tech21 Trademark 10 for bedroom tone galore!

I was very impressed by the GNX 1 I had (GNX 3 could do everything the GNX 1 did and more). It had beautiful clean sounds - much nicer than anything I've obtained from my current rig (V-Amp Pro), which I also like. The GNX also had some nice, crushing distortion sounds. It's built like a tank, and the controls layout is very simple and logical. Also, Digitech has a great forum, where you can get excellent advice and some great patches. Plus, as someone else pointed out, you can get patches from current guitar mags. Overall, it's a great unit. I say go for it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you guys are interested in Digitech, shoot me an email. Let me know you are from the JCF.

Matt