Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The CC has an A2 magnet is not what I would personally consider "high output". It's great for older Sabbath stuff tuned to C# and D, but I think what he means by "80's Metal" is stuff like RATT, Warrant, Poison, Bon Jovi, Jake-era Ozzy, and happy/poppy hair metal

Metallica should never be considered "80's Metal", despite the release dates on their albums. They're Thrash/Speed Metal (or at least used to be, I dunno whathefuck they are now).

But yeah, Custom, C5, JB with an A5-sized ceramic magnet (as opposed to the jumbo in the DD or the three ceramics in the Invader). Either one of those will get you a "textbook" 80's Metal tone, within reason.

And I cannot believe how anal the magnet stuff is getting over at the Duncan forums! Roughcast, unoriented, etc. I mean, I'm all for experimenting on shit, but these guys freak me the fuck out
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Quote Originally Posted by Newc View Post
    The CC has an A2 magnet is not what I would personally consider "high output". It's great for older Sabbath stuff tuned to C# and D, but I think what he means by "80's Metal" is stuff like RATT, Warrant, Poison, Bon Jovi, Jake-era Ozzy, and happy/poppy hair metal

Metallica should never be considered "80's Metal", despite the release dates on their albums. They're Thrash/Speed Metal (or at least used to be, I dunno whathefuck they are now).

But yeah, Custom, C5, JB with an A5-sized ceramic magnet (as opposed to the jumbo in the DD or the three ceramics in the Invader). Either one of those will get you a "textbook" 80's Metal tone, within reason.

And I cannot believe how anal the magnet stuff is getting over at the Duncan forums! Roughcast, unoriented, etc. I mean, I'm all for experimenting on shit, but these guys freak me the fuck out
    Yeah, When I say 80's metal, I'm referring to the hair bands.

+1 on the Full Shred. I had one in a Model 4 years ago and loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rossness View Post
    Yeah, When I say 80's metal, I'm referring to the hair bands.
    Why not just find out what pickups those bands used?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
    Well done, you invented the Custom 5!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...sh14_custom_5/

Why do you think I did it? I may not be as cheap as a Scot, but I'm not paying $80 to try out a pickup when I can make it from some shit I have laying around in my workshop. :ROTF:

You're cheaper than me then, I've never swapped a mag yet. I bought the three different Customs as they were! Mag swapping? Can't be arsed!

I had two unusable Custom pickups and an A5 magnet, I spent 15 minutes to make a pickup out of it instead of paying $80 to try it out... That's not cheap, that's smart.

I got everything wired up. The CC sounds pretty sweet with a little less of the high end I have in my JB, but its still crisp. I wired it with a tone knob so I can get some neck-like tones if I need them. I also have a kill pot. it sounds really cool to do a Satch-like squeal and hammer on and off the kill button. =)

Quote Originally Posted by The Rossness View Post
    I got everything wired up. The CC sounds pretty sweet with a little less of the high end I have in my JB, but its still crisp.=)
    How does the low end of the CC compare to the JB? Is the CC any tighter?

2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Quote Originally Posted by goldsparkletop View Post
    How does the low end of the CC compare to the JB? Is the CC any tighter?
    The CC does have a tighter low end and more mids than a JB. It lacks some of the JB's signature sizzle, which is a little disappointing, but it's a nice PU none the less. If I could get it to be just slightly hotter, it would be perfect.