Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree Roaches

Default Tree Roaches

I was wondering how many of you in other parts have to deal with nasty big ass flying tree roaches. Here in Houston they are all over the place. It's been cold lately but I still see the sick bastards here and there. For whatever reason I don't get freaked out by snakes or whatever, but those huge roaches have my number.
    Let go, let Guitar

same out here in lake jackson. hate those nasty things!

One of the charms of living in Texas.........
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Quote Originally Posted by JacksoNeal View Post
    I was wondering how many of you in other parts have to deal with nasty big ass flying tree roaches. Here in Houston they are all over the place. It's been cold lately but I still see the sick bastards here and there. For whatever reason I don't get freaked out by snakes or whatever, but those huge roaches have my number.
    Are they Palmetto bugs? I spent some time in Florida and was warned of them.. but never actually saw any.... thank god.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

You think they're bad in a tree, try em in your apartment. Had an infestation almost 10 years ago in a place I used to live. I'm scarred for life. Any time I see something small and fast-moving, or something brown & oval-shaped I still jump.

When I first moved into that place I was waiting on my furniture delivery. Long day of moving, exhausted. Bed hadn't arrived yet, so I set up a few blankets on the floor. Nearly asleep, so happy to be drifting off, I felt a little tickle on the inside of my upper arm....

Jump up, see this little bastard running along the floor. I punched it so hard I thought I broke my hand.

Another time, after I thought I had poisoned them all, I was getting out of the shower and saw one on the kitchen floor. Soaking wet, I chased it with a book or something, smashing the floor behind it as I ran. After I got it, I realized I had been screaming, "DIE DIE DIE".

Naked & screamingly violent. That's when I decided I had to move.

You're never the same after that. My wife lived in the Village in NYC for a few years- Same deal. We're both damaged, forever.
    Last edited by Vass; 01-04-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries

We get them every once in a while here, but only in the hottest months. On of the the worst things about them is they're so big you can hear them just walking around.

JCF (I have no life)Member DonP's Avatar

Never heard of these. Pictures?

Get a bearded dragon and feed them to it?

This?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_woods_cockroach

(I didn't want to click on the Gallery, as I'm eating lunch now)
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Those come out of the sewer up here. As kids we used to see how many we could run over at night when would ride our bikes. The second apartment my wife and I had backed up to a drainage ditch. During the warm months when ever it would rain they would show up in the apartment. Our pit bull loved to kill them and was very entertaining to watch when one would show up. One night the dog woke us up with a low moaning type growl. I started out of bed heart racing like there was someone in the apartment. Turned out there was one on the wall and she was pissed that she couldnt get to it. I knocked it down, she killed and ate, I was able to go back to bed. They love warm moist places which pretty much describes Houston.

Blog Entries

Ron, I'm not sure if that's it because they say it only gets to 2" long and doesn't fly, and I'm sure everyone here will tell you that they've seen them 3" long or even more, and they can definitely fly. It looks just like a cockroach, but way, way bigger. The first time I saw one out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was a bigger than avg. mouse for a second.

I like the way they pop when you step on them.Jason,my pit loves to hunt them down,he also gets upset when he can't get to it..........
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

We definitely have them in Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by dg View Post
    Ron, I'm not sure if that's it because they say it only gets to 2" long and doesn't fly, and I'm sure everyone here will tell you that they've seen them 3" long or even more, and they can definitely fly. It looks just like a cockroach, but way, way bigger. The first time I saw one out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was a bigger than avg. mouse for a second.

Yeah, they're bigger than 2 inches, fukkin radar will pick up those big-ass tree roaches. Its part of being in Texas. From my experience, Houston has more of them than Dallas. In Houston you could come home at night, pull in the driveway and you'd see them all in the flowerbeds and bricks. Here, I get them in my garage every once in a while but not like I did in Houston. I get regular exterminations so I don't see them in the house.
    shawnlutz.com

I haven't seen any of those. But in the summer we get these nasty flying roaches. I think they are related to the Palmetto bugs somebody else referred to. I remember when I was living in West Texas and riding my motorcycle, I had to watch out for swarms of June Bugs. Those damn things hurt at 50 mph.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

JCF (I have no life)Member StukaJU87's Avatar

Had palmetto bugs on Camp LeJeune when I was stationed there. Also known as the American Cockroach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cockroach
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

JCF (I have no life)Member StukaJU87's Avatar

Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Long story short:
    Years ago former production automotive job.
    I bumped to a department that I could get some OT.
    This department was located in the older part of the building/factory.

Had a very strong rain thunderstorm come through.
    Knocked the power out and water started coming up through the various manholes in this department. It only happened in this department (water flooding) every other place/department didn't have the water flooding. Our department flooded and for safety reasons we didn't work once flooded.

HOWEVER!
    Whatever is in the path of water when it floods is coming up with the water.
    Not a few but what appeared to be colonies of huge burgundy brown roaches came up with the water. It was like a movie scene of being flooded with water and colonies of roaches.
    Yucky.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Same down here in Brazoria only see them inside when it rains like hell or it gets cold. I spray house myself once a mon. and only see them ocasionally, our Pit Nitro likes to wack them around w/his paws when he see them; we call them his "freinds"

Quote Originally Posted by StukaJU87 View Post
    Thats EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I just wondered how many of your lives have been destroyed by them like mine. OK, maybe not destroyed lives, but dammit I hate them. What really sucks is when you see one and when you go in for the kill it gets away from you, so you have to go about your business knowing there's one in the house. Somebody told me besides Houston they are real bad in S Florida, like Miami.
    Let go, let Guitar

JCF Member

That's a nasty fuckin' creature, If there;s a purpose for every being here on earth, then damn, they had a hell of an "off" day when they designed these bastards
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall