JE-1200 wiring help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JE-1200 wiring help.

Right, I got a JE-1200 circuit through today and I just wanted to ask here (and also JGP) to see if anyone can help me sort out what's going where, because I don't actually need all the parts that it came with.

Here are the actual parts:

And here's the diagram I've been looking at:

I've notated some notes on the original pic for what I'm sure some of the parts are, but I'd like to install this into a Jackson Stars RR-J2SP, with ONE humbucker, one volume pot, one slot for switch (EMG PA-2) and then of course, the output jack.

So I won't need the tone pots for 2 humbuckers, I'll only need one switch, and I don't know what those loose wires are or where they go.

I'm not a beginner at soldering, so this isn't a problem, but if anyone could just write out a detailed list of things I need to do to get that to work, I would be EXTREMELY grateful.

Here's what I think are the parts, according to the catalogue scan:

Thanks in advance!!!

Not familiar with the JE-1200 wiring, but your question marks are all grounds.
    Scott

Comment

Dude, number the question marks to make it easier to explain.

??? goes to the output jack.
      ???, ???, and ??? gets bolted under a pickup.
      ??? gets soldered to the trem claw.

Comment

To be a little more helpful, the ???s with metal rings go under the pickups, one of the ones coming off the tone knob goes to the bridge, and I'm not sure the final one goes to the jack, but Don probably knows more than I.
        Scott

Comment

I'm pretty sure the ring with several black wires coming off (the ??? in the lower center of the pic) would have been the central ground point, which was screwed into the shielding in the electronics cavity. That's how my JE-1200 equipped Model 6 is wired, rather than the usual cental point being the volume pot.

Unless you are putting it right back into a Model 4 or 6 (or other guitar with that exact config), I wouldn't worry too much about reusing all the original ground wires. I'd install install the midboost system and then just do the ground wires in a logical way for the new layout. There are other schematics in the electronics manual to help you out with the other end of the circuit (different pickups & switches) which attaches at point A in the schematic you have there:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=66

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Dude, number the question marks to make it easier to explain.

??? goes to the output jack.
            ???, ???, and ??? gets bolted under a pickup.
            ??? gets soldered to the trem claw.
            Haha sorry, I didn't even think of that to be honest, but I still understand your explanation, so thanks!

Since there's only one pickup, would I need to get all of them under there?

The output jack ??? has been cut clean. I assume that if I need to solder it to the output, I'll need to cut away some of the plastic around it? I wasn't sure if I was to just leave it alone because it was like that when I got it.

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post

To be a little more helpful, the ???s with metal rings go under the pickups, one of the ones coming off the tone knob goes to the bridge, and I'm not sure the final one goes to the jack, but Don probably knows more than I.
            I'll ask you the same question, since you both said the same thing, but different to dg. I've opened up everything in the guitar, and I can see one of those little ring things screwed down under the pickup, but there's also one in the control cavity, against the "wall", so wouldn't one of them have to go there and the other two go under the same screw under the pickup?

Originally posted by dg View Post
            I'm pretty sure the ring with several black wires coming off (the ??? in the lower center of the pic) would have been the central ground point, which was screwed into the shielding in the electronics cavity. That's how my JE-1200 equipped Model 6 is wired, rather than the usual cental point being the volume pot.

Unless you are putting it right back into a Model 4 or 6 (or other guitar with that exact config), I wouldn't worry too much about reusing all the original ground wires. I'd install install the midboost system and then just do the ground wires in a logical way for the new layout. There are other schematics in the electronics manual to help you out with the other end of the circuit (different pickups & switches) which attaches at point A in the schematic you have there:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=66
            I think what you said is what I can see in the cavity. But then again, I don't think this is classed as a model 4/6 or anything though (I'm just guessing)...so it might be different. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing or saying you're wrong, because I know nothing, I just wanna make sure I know exactly what I'm going to do with all of the parts before I actually go ahead and do it.

And so about the pots...the volume has to stay there (obviously), the mid boost has to stay there (obviously) and then the tone one, I can just leave in there turned to full just to keep the circuit going?

And the three switches, two of them have 6C10 on them, and only one has 6B10. Is the 6B10 the switch for the JE-1200 on/off? And the other two were volume switches for two other pickups or something?

After these questions, I should be ready to go. It's just those loose wires, pots & switches that I wasn't totally sure of.

The pickup is currently soldered to one of the little bits coming off the volume pot and then another little wire going to the cavity wall, so I'll do the same with the new circuitry in there too.

Thanks again to everyone that's helped so far!

Comment

Model 4 & Model 6 were specific Charvel guitars that had the JE-1200 setup. They had an H-S-S pickup layout, and the three mini switches were each for an individual pickup. The JE-1200 is always on when you are plugged in, and the level is controlled by the midboost pot, so there is no switch for it. What type of guitar and pickup layout are you intalling this into?
              Last edited by dg; 12-04-2008, 06:06 PM.

Comment

At first I thought that shielded cable connected to the tone pot was the output jack cable, but you already have an output jack, so I don't know jack This wire isn't even on the schematic. The circled A wire goes to the pickup switches (6C10).

The three eyelet things get bolted under each pickup, with a final eyelet bolted in the electronic cavity. The pickup cavities and control cavity in J/C guitars are painted with shielding paint - these eyelets connect the shielding paint to ground. If you have only one pickup cavity (or the cavities aren't shield painted / foiled), skip it.

The main thing you need to concentrate on is the switches. The white wires that the hot output from your pickups (depending on which switches are on or off) and send the signal to the preamp and tone controls. If you have one pickup and don't need switches, I think you could connect it to the two white wires at the 6C10 switch. The ground of the pickup can go to any ground. Tone pot seems like a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  Model 4 & Model 6 were specific Charvel guitars that had the JE-1200 setup. They had an H-S-S pickup layout, and the three mini switches were each for an individual pickup. The JE-1200 is always on when you are plugged in, and the level is controlled by the midboost pot, so there is no switch for it. What type of guitar and pickup layout are you intalling this into?
                  Oh dear, I didn't know this! I thought this worked in the same way as an EMG PA2, with the switch for on/off. Not that it really matters, because I'll want it on all the time anyway. I'll just leave a switch in there as a dude, then.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  At first I thought that shielded cable connected to the tone pot was the output jack cable, but you already have an output jack, so I don't know jack This wire isn't even on the schematic. The circled A wire goes to the pickup switches (6C10).

The three eyelet things get bolted under each pickup, with a final eyelet bolted in the electronic cavity. The pickup cavities and control cavity in J/C guitars are painted with shielding paint - these eyelets connect the shielding paint to ground. If you have only one pickup cavity (or the cavities aren't shield painted / foiled), skip it.

The main thing you need to concentrate on is the switches. The white wires that the hot output from your pickups (depending on which switches are on or off) and send the signal to the preamp and tone controls. If you have one pickup and don't need switches, I think you could connect it to the two white wires at the 6C10 switch. The ground of the pickup can go to any ground. Tone pot seems like a good choice.
                  So for the eyelets thing, since I do have only one pickup cavity and only one pickup, I just bolt one of them under the pickup, and then another in the control cavity and leave the other one? Or take it away? Because there's 3.

And I think, now that I know the JE-1200 on/off switch doesn't exist, that I could use the volume pot (because I like using it for vol swells etc) and then use a switch as a killswitch, since I won't need the PA2 and I might as well have it there if I can. I don't mean I want to disconnect the tone/boost controls, I'll just leave them in the cavity at full.

With all this said, I really don't understand all these electronical terms well enough to do it myself, I kinda need a re-written diagram, showing only the parts I need and what goes where, where the pickup wires go, etc...

I feel so retarded. :think:

Comment

There's a diagram for a 1 hum setup on the page I linked to. Totally up to you, but I'd want to install at least the midboost control pot so it can be adjusted. I like mine down for most rhythm parts, up for leads. Depending on what pickup you're using, it can make a big difference. You can just take the tone control out of the circuit if you want to, btw.

One other thing to bring up. Not sure if you're going to use the jack that came with the circuit. If you don't, make sure you install a stereo jack, because that is what acts as your on/off switch. When you plug in, you complete the circuit. if you use a regular mono jack, it will always be on and you'll drain the battery.

Comment

Thanks dg!! IT WORKS!!!

I ended up what you suggested!! I have the midboost control in the place of the volume and the killswitch in place of the PA-2!

I installed the killswitch and had the volume control, with the boost pot at full in the cavity (which is what I thought I wanted at first), and it did indeed sound a bit muddy when playing rhythms, and with the killswitch, there wasn't any need for the volume, so I changed it around.

And as for the input jack, I just used the one that came with the guitar. Instead of using the one I bought and changing the wires around, I just disconnected the original jack from the PA2, and soldered the 3 different wires in the relavent places in the circuit!!

Thank you all again! I couldn't have done it without your help!

Comment

Working...
                      X