Fretboard dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard dye

I recently "ebonized" my rosewood fretboard with Fiebing's Oil Dye (the stuff StewMac sells as "fretboard dye") and am pretty happy with the results.
    The problem is, the edge of the fretboard is clear coated along with the neck. The dye would not penetrate into the rosewood on the sides because of the coat, so I have a black fretboard with brown edges. (By "edges" I mean the actual side of the rosewood, where the side markers are, not the edges of the front of the fretboard.)

How can I remove the clear coat from the edge of the fretboard without removing it from the neck so that the stain will "take" while still retaining the clear coat on the neck?
    Also how can I do it without leaving a distinct "line" that you can feel (and maybe see) where the clear coat ends?

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

If what I understand you want is correct, it sounds as though you'd need to sand the entire neck, finish your staining and then either leave the neck raw or clear coat it. If you do it any other way, you're going to have a line where the clear ends...a line you'll be able to see and feel.

Comment

I suggest you scrape off the clear coat from the edges, using a new Stanley blade. If you're good with detail work, this will be an easy fix. The only problem is if there is clear coat deep into the rosewood. The stain won't stick properly if there's a lot of clear left after scraping.

A picture for you. I hope it's ok with Dave / Budman to show it here. He is the master of all things In the pic, he is scraping the binding, but you can use the pic to get the idea:

Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

jackson1, in that picture, it looks as though he is scraping the binding to be flush with the fretboard.
        What I am trying to do is remove clear coat from the side of the fretboard....

6string40, if I have to do that then things might get complicated.
        This guitar is a neck-through-body, so I can't just stop sanding at the heel joint.
        That's why I am stumped on how to do this....
        Last edited by DalyTek; 11-29-2010, 03:58 AM.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

I say leave it.

I have a Bentley Series 10 Bass (purchased for $70) that had the same treatment (or from a sharpie marker who knows).

It looks like a rosewood "binding".

What neck thru body did you do this to? A Model 5? You know those are going for $1200 on ebay now Hope you didn't mess it up

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
            jackson1, in that picture, it looks as though he is scraping the binding to be flush with the fretboard.
            What I am trying to do is remove clear coat from the side of the fretboard....
            I am fully aware. I know what you are asking. I was confident that you could pick up the ideas from the picture and apply the techniques to the side of the fingerboard. I'm sorry but I just don't have a better explanation or illustration. Binding / no binding - doesn't matter.
            Henrik

Comment

OK, maybe I am misunderstanding you then. To my eye, if I use a technique like that picture shows to scrape off the clear coat from the edge of the fretboard, I would likely get chipping of the clear coat (assuming that it's a hardened coat) or best case scenario would be that it does indeed remove the clear coat, but would leave a very distinct edge where the clear coat ends at the rosewood.

Comment

OK, maybe I am misunderstanding you then.
                I understand. The sides of the fretboard are still rosewood. The clear coat prevents the dye from ebonizing the sides.

Just leave it as is.

Comment

Just leave it. Or mask off the edge of the board where the neck and finger board joint is. The with a very sharp knife. Exacto or what ever. Very carefully cut the cut a line at the seem of the board and the neck. Then just caerfully flake it off. the tape will help the rest of the clear from chipping. Or file it off with a fine toothed file again with the neck taped off.
                  Gil

Comment

... I would likely get chipping of the clear coat
                    You haven't tried scraping clear coat lightly with a new stanley blade, my friend :-) No chipping and the shape of the neck/edge will make it very easy to control. Finish off with a slight sand and buff and there won't be any edge. One thing strikes me now... and this is maybe where we misunderstand each other....

Right:

Wrong:
                    Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      I say leave it.
                      +1
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wimps!
                        Last edited by jackson1; 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM.
                        Henrik

Comment

I just don't think it will be that big of a deal to have the sides of the board lighter than the top. It won't be all that noticeable. :dunno:
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I just don't think it will be that big of a deal to have the sides of the board lighter than the top. It won't be all that noticeable. :dunno:
                            On my Series 10 it's noticable, but doesn't look all that bad.

Comment

Noticeable to the player, but not to the people in the audience.

You could also put some black pinstriping tape around the edge. You'll have to add the side markers.

To prevent clearcoat chipping, I'd suggest scoring the clearcoat for the length of the neck along the fretboard/neck line. That way you separate the two sections. If the board clearcoating chips/flakes, it's no biggie since you're stripping it anyway.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X