Pistol Permit wait in Connecticut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pistol Permit wait in Connecticut

I have been waiting 17 weeks so far. It was supposed to be 8. Then.. the officer who took my application and prints told me not to expect to receive it for 12-14 weeks. At 15 weeks I started calling the station. I spoke to one officer who told me that I wasn't in the denied file, I wasn't in the approved file on his desk and I wasn't in the file cabinet waiting for approvals which means I must be on the chiefs desk waiting to get signed off on. That was 3 weeks ago. I have been calling since then and leaving messages. I spoke to an office last week who told me to stop calling and expect to wait at least 6 months before I will see anything but he sounded like he was just trying to get me to stop calling. Anybody else in CT or anywhere else waiting this long? Jeez...

Thank god I live in AZ.
    15 minutes is all it takes 99% of the time.
    NICS check and a quick phone call and that's it.
    The only time the PD is involved is for NFA weapons or CCW permits.
    -Rick

Comment

Are you waiting on a CCW? Just a permit to buy a pistol? WTH that is too long.
      I can go in pick out a pistol pay for it and walk out with it.
      I know when I go with an NFA purchase its going to take months to hear back.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My CCW here in North Carolina took exactly 45 days to arrive in my mailbox. Regular purchase permits only take 5-7 days.
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          Are you waiting on a CCW? Just a permit to buy a pistol? WTH that is too long.
          I can go in pick out a pistol pay for it and walk out with it.
          I know when I go with an NFA purchase its going to take months to hear back.
          The way CT works is this. I took the pistol permit class. I then went to the PD and got printed and did the application. I can't buy a pistol until that application is approved. I then have 2 months to take that approved application and bring it to the state police barracks, pay more money and get my CCW. If I don't do it within 2 months the approved application is voided and I would have to do the entire process over again.

Comment

Back in the 80s, my father got to the same point you are at now in Milford and he waited so long he gave up. He still never got his permit.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              The way CT works is this. I took the pistol permit class. I then went to the PD and got printed and did the application. I can't buy a pistol until that application is approved. I then have 2 months to take that approved application and bring it to the state police barracks, pay more money and get my CCW. If I don't do it within 2 months the approved application is voided and I would have to do the entire process over again.
              If I understand you: This is just to purchase a pistol, and you've been waiting 17 weeks so far? Can't you just drive to a neighboring state(assuming you're not a felon or other wisely restricted)?
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

lol, here you need to do 3000 hrs of shit to get a rifle

Comment

Took me four weeks to get my CCW permit sent out, back and signed off on. No permit needed in West Virginia to buy a pistol. Just go to the gun store, pick out what you want, 10 minutes or less normally to go through the NICS check, and assuming you pass you're out the door with new found weapon. I don't know what I would do if I lived in a "draconian" state. Moving would damn sure be my first plan of action...

JG, that sucks you've had to wait so long. Hopefully they'll get you sorted out. I'll bet the permit applications have jumped through the roof since the different laws have been passed there.
                  Last edited by Razor; 09-07-2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                    If I understand you: This is just to purchase a pistol, and you've been waiting 17 weeks so far? Can't you just drive to a neighboring state(assuming you're not a felon or other wisely restricted)?
                    Pistols can not be purchased out of state. They have to be shipped to an FFL in the state you reside in. You still have to comply with the pistol laws in your state.

Long guns can be purchased out of state as long as you clear the NICS check.

Comment

I can go buy a pistol strap it on and if my jacket covers it, oh well. But this is in the middle of nowhere.
                      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                        Pistols can not be purchased out of state. They have to be shipped to an FFL in the state you reside in. You still have to comply with the pistol laws in your state.

Long guns can be purchased out of state as long as you clear the NICS check.
                        ok, I hold a CCW so I don't have to go through any waiting. With Multi-state reciprocity....

Georgia has decent gun laws, but we also have strong statewide support of gun rights. To purchase a pistol, usually takes about 15 minutes from the time you pick one out(assuming you're not restricted because of felonies or other restrictions). The necessary paperwork and a quick call to the FBI and you're done.
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

They do it intentionally.. that is why I will never let mine expire again...
                          Good luck dude...

Comment

That blows! I ordered AR 15's off the internet and picked up at my FFL in less than a week. I'm actually planning on buying a handgun in the near future, but I'm sure it would take me 15 minutes to buy one and walk out the door...

I would keep harassing (not literally, of course!) the police until they get tired of seeing and hearing you and push your paperwork through the line fast.

Another thing, I don't how the laws work in CT, but can't you just buy a used handgun through a classifieds ad? Like Armslist.com. I've sold an SKS and 2 AR 15's through this site; I met the people in front of some gun stores and sold them just like I would a guitar on craigslist. They have sections for all types of guns.
                            Last edited by Maiden89; 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM.
                            Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                            Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

It's a shame when you can go to a thug/hood rat/street pharmacist and get a pistol easier than in a store.
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X