No announcement yet.

What are the strongest guitar strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the strongest guitar strings?

I was wondering if anyone could help me in my quest to find the ultimate strongest guitar strings out there. I usually string up with 11's and tune to C# standard and use a Floyd for a lot for a lot of crazy divebombs, extreme vibrato and flutters. Plus I pick REALLY hard (almost percussively) so I need a set of strings that can stand up to a lot of abuse without ever breaking.

I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steels which were quite good but recently switched up to Elixirs to check them out and see what all the fuss is about. I was playing a gig last night (tuned to D standard, mind) and broke the A on a two-week old set of strings! Thank fuck I had a backup guitar. Before somebody says anything, the knife edges on the Floyd can't be worn out since it's barely been a few months since I bought it brand new.

Should I just string up with some 12's and add another spring in the trem cavity?
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Don't know about whether any particular set/brand of strings is any stronger than the next. I'd just do the usual thing of making sure you wipe them down after you've finished playing. I use D'Addario 10 - 46 in standard tuning on Floyd Rose equipped guitars. I get a maximum of 6 hours out of them. I (and my band) can predict when a string is about to snap, usually the A or the D.

Comment

Where are they breaking?

Two weeks is a little old for gigging on strings if you're hard on them with the tremolo. I always changed mine weekly "just to be sure" as they would often break at the saddle after a couple of weeks.

What would the knife edges have to do with breaking strings? :think:

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
        Plus I pick REALLY hard (almost percussively) so I need a set of strings that can stand up to a lot of abuse without ever breaking.
        Maybe work on your technique and don't pick so hard?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You're gonna be hard pressed to find any strings that will hold up to that kind of abuse for very long.

And two weeks on a set of strings while gigging? Brave man.

I changed mine at least a day before any show. Gave me plenty of time to get them settled.
          I could reliably get two shows out of a set if we had to play two nights in a row. But I always had 3 guitars with me at any gig, so I wasn't too worried about a string breaking.
          -Rick

Comment

I just throw DR Tite-Fits on, and I can count on one hand how many breaks I've had in over 10 years of use.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

I've never broken a string ever. How do manage that?
              Last edited by levantin; 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I'm with rjohnstone. Get a new pack of strings the day before your show.
                I don't know how regulary you gig, but having way better chances of playing the whole gig without broken strings should be worth it.

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                I use D'Addario 10 - 46 in standard tuning on Floyd Rose equipped guitars. I get a maximum of 6 hours out of them.
                6 hours is all they can take in your hands?
                Playing guitar is quite expensive, isn't it?
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                  Yea me either ,I think your technique needs improvement. Or switch to bass .

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys and happy new year!

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                    Originally posted by P I K A View Post
                    Yea me either ,I think your technique needs improvement. Or switch to bass .
                    Wow! That's crazy! What, do you guys tickle the strings with feathers?

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Maybe work on your technique and don't pick so hard?
                    I'm not arrogant enough to not think that my technique definitely needs improvement, i'm not really sure that's an issue. I just pick fucking hard and i like it, that's how i learned how to play and that's how i get my tone, so i just need some strings that fit my technique.

I did forget to mention that the A string had broken a few days prior to the gig. I always break strings at the saddle so it's just a matter of clipping the broken end off, giving the string a little more slack and clamping it back in. I should change strings more often.

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    I just throw DR Tite-Fits on, and I can count on one hand how many breaks I've had in over 10 years of use.
                    Thanks for the recommendation, i'll check them out!

@ rjohnstone: Thanks for the advice!
                    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Eh, I pick a little on the hard side, too, but I haven't broken a string in many, many years. I'd say use thicker strings if you can't pick lighter...
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The last time I broke a string, I forgot which Floyd nut locks I'd undone and snapped it on the peghead side.

Comment

if you always break strings at the saddle, it might be worth check the saddles for burrs or what have you
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

The last time I broke a string onstage, I was using a metal pick. It was the A string, and it didn't really break, it came unravalled while I was off on a zone in the middle of a song. My hand scraped against the frayed wrapping. By the end of the song, there was blood all over the front of my guitar... Yeah, I bleed for my art.

Seriously, I agree with VitaminG. Check your saddles for burrs. If they are new, it's possible.
                            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

hmmn, i play hard, pick hard bend hard ect.. and my strings will last a year or more, i mean never break them at all, just 1 string in the last few years and they were almost 2 years old.

Like VitaminG said if your breaking them a lot, it's a saddle issue more than likely.

Comment

Working...
                              X