Tree Roaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree Roaches

I was wondering how many of you in other parts have to deal with nasty big ass flying tree roaches. Here in Houston they are all over the place. It's been cold lately but I still see the sick bastards here and there. For whatever reason I don't get freaked out by snakes or whatever, but those huge roaches have my number.
    Let go, let Guitar

same out here in lake jackson. hate those nasty things!

Comment

One of the charms of living in Texas.........
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Originally posted by JacksoNeal View Post
        I was wondering how many of you in other parts have to deal with nasty big ass flying tree roaches. Here in Houston they are all over the place. It's been cold lately but I still see the sick bastards here and there. For whatever reason I don't get freaked out by snakes or whatever, but those huge roaches have my number.
        Are they Palmetto bugs? I spent some time in Florida and was warned of them.. but never actually saw any.... thank god.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

You think they're bad in a tree, try em in your apartment. Had an infestation almost 10 years ago in a place I used to live. I'm scarred for life. Any time I see something small and fast-moving, or something brown & oval-shaped I still jump.

When I first moved into that place I was waiting on my furniture delivery. Long day of moving, exhausted. Bed hadn't arrived yet, so I set up a few blankets on the floor. Nearly asleep, so happy to be drifting off, I felt a little tickle on the inside of my upper arm....

Jump up, see this little bastard running along the floor. I punched it so hard I thought I broke my hand.

Another time, after I thought I had poisoned them all, I was getting out of the shower and saw one on the kitchen floor. Soaking wet, I chased it with a book or something, smashing the floor behind it as I ran. After I got it, I realized I had been screaming, "DIE DIE DIE".

Naked & screamingly violent. That's when I decided I had to move.

You're never the same after that. My wife lived in the Village in NYC for a few years- Same deal. We're both damaged, forever.
          Last edited by Vass; 01-04-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

We get them every once in a while here, but only in the hottest months. On of the the worst things about them is they're so big you can hear them just walking around.

Comment

Never heard of these. Pictures?

Get a bearded dragon and feed them to it?

Comment

This?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_woods_cockroach

(I didn't want to click on the Gallery, as I'm eating lunch now)
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Those come out of the sewer up here. As kids we used to see how many we could run over at night when would ride our bikes. The second apartment my wife and I had backed up to a drainage ditch. During the warm months when ever it would rain they would show up in the apartment. Our pit bull loved to kill them and was very entertaining to watch when one would show up. One night the dog woke us up with a low moaning type growl. I started out of bed heart racing like there was someone in the apartment. Turned out there was one on the wall and she was pissed that she couldnt get to it. I knocked it down, she killed and ate, I was able to go back to bed. They love warm moist places which pretty much describes Houston.

Comment

Ron, I'm not sure if that's it because they say it only gets to 2" long and doesn't fly, and I'm sure everyone here will tell you that they've seen them 3" long or even more, and they can definitely fly. It looks just like a cockroach, but way, way bigger. The first time I saw one out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was a bigger than avg. mouse for a second.

Comment

I like the way they pop when you step on them.Jason,my pit loves to hunt them down,he also gets upset when he can't get to it..........
                      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

We definitely have them in Florida!

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                          Ron, I'm not sure if that's it because they say it only gets to 2" long and doesn't fly, and I'm sure everyone here will tell you that they've seen them 3" long or even more, and they can definitely fly. It looks just like a cockroach, but way, way bigger. The first time I saw one out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was a bigger than avg. mouse for a second.

Yeah, they're bigger than 2 inches, fukkin radar will pick up those big-ass tree roaches. Its part of being in Texas. From my experience, Houston has more of them than Dallas. In Houston you could come home at night, pull in the driveway and you'd see them all in the flowerbeds and bricks. Here, I get them in my garage every once in a while but not like I did in Houston. I get regular exterminations so I don't see them in the house.
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I haven't seen any of those. But in the summer we get these nasty flying roaches. I think they are related to the Palmetto bugs somebody else referred to. I remember when I was living in West Texas and riding my motorcycle, I had to watch out for swarms of June Bugs. Those damn things hurt at 50 mph.
                            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Had palmetto bugs on Camp LeJeune when I was stationed there. Also known as the American Cockroach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cockroach
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X