No announcement yet.

Charvel/Jackson: Tales From The Shop 1983-1987

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hell with sawing it up I would have smashed it over the head of the dude who did the inlays!

And that poor poor star...
    Last edited by unclesprinter; 02-16-2012, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
      I saw Chris Holmes playing at The Galaxy Theater at last year's NAMM show. He was playing a Jackson and I couldn't believe he still existed after seeing that swimming pool scene in The Fall Of Western Civilization movie many years ago!
      Man I hear you there..... I saw that movie that couldnt believe that swimming pool scene. it was disturbing.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Yeah Chris is still out there playing.One of my all time faves.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
          P.S. As a side note...it is rumored that the Ibanez Destroyer that Ed Van Halen cut up into a kinda 'Star' shape and used on 'Women & Children First' originally belonged to Chris Holmes.
          I had always heard that Eddie wrecked his by cutting it up and borrowed Chris's to record Women & Children because it was still original and Eddie had hacked his so badly that it didn't sound right anymore. This is from an interview:

The Inside: So how did Eddie Van Halen come about borrowing your guitar for the Women and Children First album?

Chris Holmes: I got into a motorcycle accident in 1980. I had broken my back and I was in the hospital. I couldn't play. I was in traction and he just came into the hospital. He just got off the road. He asked if he could borrow the guitar and I said yes.

The Inside: What kind of guitar was it?

CH: It was an Ibanez Destroyer, a certain kind that I had bought. Honestly, I got one because he got one. He was just somebody I really envied when I grew up playing and he was cool. I always wanted to play like him, but you've got to do your own thing. I bought one because he got one that had a cool shape. It was made out of a certain kind of wood that they didn't make very many out of -- crayna, I think. He cut his out and changed the sound, but he couldn't fix it back. So he said, 'Hey, can I use your guitar?' I said 'Sure, man.' And he used it on the album.

The Inside: Did he return it to you in one piece?

CH: It was funny; when I got it back, the bridge was turned around backwards and all that intonation... it was just backwards to the way I would have had it. I just don't see how he played it that way, but he did. It's funny, I've been to a few Van Halen shows and I put on Ed's guitar and it's just the complete opposite of the way I set up mine.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
            Man I hear you there..... I saw that movie that couldnt believe that swimming pool scene. it was disturbing.
            Indeed it was!
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

more more more

Comment

+1

Awesome thread.
                Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Bum for more ")

Comment

TALES FROM THE SHOP...PART III

I recently went over it very carefully again with Glenn, as he originally related the story to me at NAMM 2012. Just to be sure I had all the details correct.

Glenn Matejzel was an very early employee of Charvel/Jackson. Employed with Grover Jackson Inc. primarily as a painter, from late 1981 through May of 1986, he was there for the 'Glory Days' of the company and painted MANY of the famous star guitars we all love and remember.

Just to name a few: Warren DeMartini's Blood Skull, Bomber, Crossed Swords and the rarely seen 'Kabuki' Faces guitar, George Lynch's original Orange Sub Camo and many of Robbin Crosby's early solid color Jackson guitars.

Here's Glenn's NAMM badge from the Winter NAMM Show 1982...this is what they were issued to put in a simple plastic pin-on badge holder...similar yet very different from what we know today!

In mid-1985 Charvel/Jackson were working on several guitars for Steve Stevens of Billy Idol's band. One guitar, a dayglow orange dinky, was returned to Grover because apparently Billy didn't like the color and didn't want Steve to use it. The guitar sat in Grover's office for quite a awhile and Glenn said to Grover one day ' I'd like to buy that...', so they agreed on a price and a payment schedule because Glenn couldn't afford to buy it outright.

In early 1986, the rival BC Rich guitar company, just a few miles away in El Monte CA, started to actively recruit and hire away a few key Charvel/Jackson employees such as Glenn's good friend, Harvey Beck III. BC Rich offered at least $5- $6 more per hour (a LOT in those days!) and a much more 'relaxed' work environment. Glenn decided to make the move to BC Rich and gave Grover Jackson his two week notice. Although a somewhat difficult decision.... he was leaving Charvel/Jackson....Dan Lawrence would soon follow.

Grover wasn't happy as he had already lost a few key people to his friend/rival Bernie Rico. He tried to talk Glenn out of it but eventually wished him good luck and accepted his resignation while allowing Glenn to stay on for his final two weeks.

Glenn went to Grover's office on his last day to get his final paycheck. Grover looked him square in the eye and silently handed him his check....in the amount of 'No Dollars and No Cents' ! Glenn had not paid off the Steve Stevens guitar and Grover had decided payment was finally due!!

Here is Glenn's final check dated May 22, 1986 he's kept all these years...very faded & hard to read....you can still make out the details!!
                    *Note* Grover's signature O.H. Jackson Jr.

Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 12-24-2012, 04:49 PM.
                    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Cool story! Does Glenn still have the orange Dinky?
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        Cool story! Does Glenn still have the orange Dinky?
                        Nope. Long ago sold off..I was hoping to see it too!

Comment

Damnit! I'm always intrigued to know what guitars these guys have - I can only imagine some of the stuff that someone like DRL would have!
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Emerald probably knows where it is.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                              Damnit! I'm always intrigued to know what guitars these guys have - I can only imagine some of the stuff that someone like DRL would have!
                              I can tell you what most of them have from those days...nothing. Sadly not a thing.

Having grown up in Azusa, just a few miles from C/J and knowing a lot of these guys then and now (went to high school with some of them) they didn't keep much in the way of guitars...after all they were NOT making much money back then and many of the employees literally supplemented their income with their 'employee projects'.
                              Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

This thread is awesome! Keep 'em comin'!
                                "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Working...
                                X