No announcement yet.

Fretboard dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I am going to join the "wimps" category. Just seems like too much hassle and risk to worry about. I will think of it (as DonP put it) as "rosewood binding."

BTW, DonP, to answer your question....it's a custom guitar. Modeled after Kirk Hammett's 25th Anniversary ESP.
    Was supposed to have an ebony board, but the shop messed up...twice. *sigh*
    I didn't want to wait for a third build, so I took partial credit and the rosewood board and decided to "ebonize" it.
    All-in-all I'm really happy with it.
    The only things I would like to do are the dye the edges of the fretboard and route an opening for a battery box, but both are beyond my skill levels...
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
      BTW, DonP, to answer your question....it's a custom guitar. Modeled after Kirk Hammett's 25th Anniversary ESP.
      That sucks.

If you can, post a picture. Before and after would be great. I haven't grown the balls yet to take the lid off of my bottle of black stuff

I have a Les Paul that I love except for the fretboard, and a couple of other rosewood guitars that I've had thoughts of using it on. I'd like to see how yours turned out.

Comment

Wait...what sucks? That my guitar is modeled after Kirk Hammett's?

It went really well, though admittedly I'd be more scared to do it if my guitar had binding.
        I only did 2 coats. I thought it was a big enough difference to stop there.
        Got enought left in that little 4oz bottle to do another 10-20 fretboards!

I didn't want to post pics because Ron will nail me for GTWGITS!
        ...But here ya go anyway....

Last edited by DalyTek; 11-30-2010, 10:05 AM.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Huge difference, very nice! Very nice top too. Now, do the edges
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I "ebonized" a TH-2 Stealth, and of course ran into the same thing with the clearcoat on the fretboard edges. The project had gone so well up to that point that I decided to just quit while I was ahead. I've played that guitar live since then, and there's no way anyone but me would have been able to tell the difference.
            sigpic

Comment

Wait...what sucks? That my guitar is modeled after Kirk Hammett's?

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I meant it sucks that your guitar didn't come out correctly after so many tries.

Comment

25th? The inlay says KH20 for 20th. Nice guitar, though. Didn't Kirk's also have rosewood?
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

:think: Why not just sand the whole damm neck? Do you not like the feel of bare wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Ultramagnus View Post
                    the feel of bare wood?

You said wood.

Comment

Toejam, you're right...it's the 20th Anniversary. I believe the "real" KH20's all had ebony boards, including both of Kirk's personal ones.
                      DonP, yeah...I was bummed, but I really like the guitar except for the crappy Floyd Rose...and I have no cash left to replace it!
                      Ultramagnus, I have never had a bare wood neck, so not sure. I like the guitar lots and don't want to mess it up!

Comment

Ya know....:think: I don't know what all the Kirk Hammet fuss is about anyway, I mean really the guy kinda sucks. I wouldn't want one of his guitars just because It's his. It's always wah wah this and wah wah that, right? I don't know whatever....

Comment

Ya know....:think: I don't know what all the Kirk Hammet fuss is about anyway, I mean really the guy kinda sucks. I wouldn't want one of his guitars just because It's his. It's always wah wah this and wah wah that, right? I don't know whatever....
                          He used to be good. I guess we can pretty much say that about most players.

Comment

I didn't have this guitar built "just because it's his" even though I am admittedly a huge Metallica fan. I had it built because I just plain love the looks of the guitar. I'm actually much more fond of James' rhythm playing than Kirk's lead, but Kirk doesn't suck. I wouldn't put him in my list of the greatest guitar players, but I wouldn't say he's a bad player at all.

Anyhow, this thread wasn't about Kirk's playing at all. It was about my guitar.

Comment

I'm with Henrik; scrape the clear from the sides of the fretboard. Simple.
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

what guitar shop ended up building you and exact replica, got the build wrong twice and ended up using a sub par trem on a custom instrument? is this one of those chinese guitars you can have built overseas to be exactly like a higher priced model? I know of a few places where you can order built to spec chinese replicas. As far as your fretboard dilemma goes just leave it. With the amount of poly clear used on guitars these days it would never look or feel right.

Comment

Working...
                                X