Emg 81/85 Battery Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg 81/85 Battery Life

do emg 81/85 pups have a long battery life? also does anyone know of an online store that sells 9 volt batteries in bulk quantities for a good price.

thanks,
    Last edited by jaydog; 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM.

As long as you unplug the guitar, the battery will last quite awhile. Now, take this to the "Tech Section".
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I've read plenty of people advocating changing the batteries every month or so to keep the tone optimal, but I can't think I change them more often than every 3-5months. As Fett says, don't leave the guitar plugged in, it has a stereo jack which completes the battery circuit.

If you want clearer tone add a 2nd battery in series, if you want longer life then add another in parallel

Comment

Mine are in 18v and with the amount I play I find two months to be a healthy changing point. Though sound quality noticeably starts to deteriorate after about a month and a half.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yeah, should probably mention that I'm playing ever less on my guitar with 81/85's, so it obviously comes down to how much you play each day.

Comment

I agree with GodOfRythm,
            If you play alot you will need to change them more often.
            I find 1 to 2 months are best and dont leave the guitar plugged in.
            I run an 89/81 combo with 1 9v.

Comment

And instead of buying 9v batteries in bulk, ever considered going the 'rechargeable' way? better for the environment, better for your wallet.
              Sam

Comment

i dont play a whole lot..but ive had EMG's for like a year and a half and never changed the battery...probably wouldnt hurt if i did though

Comment

I'd say a year to a year and a half is about normal for my guitars with EMGs.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
                    I've read plenty of people advocating changing the batteries every month or so to keep the tone optimal, but I can't think I change them more often than every 3-5months. As Fett says, don't leave the guitar plugged in, it has a stereo jack which completes the battery circuit.

If you want clearer tone add a 2nd battery in series, if you want longer life then add another in parallel
                    are you saying you can rig the emg's so they can use 2 batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by jaydog View Post
                      Yup, so is Jackson/Charvelfan!

Check the Tech Q&A forum for lots on pickups. You might want to consider Seymour Duncan Blackouts, people seem to be defecting from EMG for them.

emperor_black, don't rechargeables put out a slightly lower voltage than Alkalines? Possible tone eater

Comment

emperor_black, don't rechargeables put out a slightly lower voltage than Alkalines? Possible tone eater
                        Not voltage. maybe slightly less current. So, they will last slightly lesser than an Alkaline IMO. but so what? you can still recharge them.

But like Joe (Toejam) said, if they are gonna last a year, then there's no point in spending for the rechargeables. On the net, I found them selling for $10 each. In target you can get a pair of 9 volts for $1.
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by jaydog View Post
                          They can actually use up to three 9v batteries.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                            Not voltage. maybe slightly less current. So, they will last slightly lesser than an Alkaline IMO. but so what? you can still recharge them.

But like Joe (Toejam) said, if they are gonna last a year, then there's no point in spending for the rechargeables. On the net, I found them selling for $10 each. In target you can get a pair of 9 volts for $1.
                            Rechargeable AA's put out 1.2V whilst alkalines put out 1.5V...but then again, they're called AA's and don't have the voltage in the name...checking my rechargeable 9V batteries, they put out 8.75V...probably close enough.

Comment

Rechargeable AA's put out 1.2V whilst alkalines put out 1.5V...but then again, they're called AA's and don't have the voltage in the name...checking my rechargeable 9V batteries, they put out 8.75V...probably close enough.
                              That is correct. I'm looking at my rechargeable AA and it does say 1.2v instead of 1.5.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X