Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Classic story!

Comment

MORE PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
          I have lots more....and will share them periodically.
          tell us before you forget them.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
            tell us before you forget them.
            Now you wouldn't want me to blow my wad all in one shot ....would you??

Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Only if you look him in the eye whilst doing so....
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

TALES FROM THE SHOP...Part II

Chris Holmes, a larger than life survivor from the 80's. It's a miracle he's still with us. VERY EARLY on he was a Charvel/Jackson player... The Blood Star, The Harley Star, The Bud Star and of course...The 'Yellow Shit' Star. The fact that this 'guitar' still survives is even more amazing than Chris being alive!! Did you ever wonder HOW it came to be in the state it's in now??

Here's a recent pic! I mean...damn it's missing the entire lower bout. Most people would have chucked it in the trash by then.

Early on this guitar was a Charvel Custom Yellow Star body with a reverse Strat Headstock and later was replaced with a matching Yellow pointy neck. It soon took a real BEATING as seen here. Abused beyond belief but the guitar is still *somewhat* in one piece. It's had at least 5 different necks on it over it's lifetime.

Here's the story from an employee at the C/J shop as he saw the guitar when it came in for 'repair'....A mere 'bus stop' in it's colorful life!

YELLOW SHIT
                Sometime, somewhere in 1987 during the 'Electric Circus' tour Chris was doing the regular afternoon soundcheck and wasn't happy with what he was hearing. He and the soundboard guy were going at it...Chris was in a BAD mood and his frustration reached a boiling point...He finally says to the sound guy 'You know WHAT...FUCK YOU!!!" as he was pulling the 'Yellow Shit' off over his head. In a split second before anyone could react he had TOMAHAWKED the guitar across the room, end over end, at the sound board...the sound guy instinctively ducked as the guitar crashed against sound console platform with a sickening *CRAAACK*

Fast forward a week later and the guitar...or what was left of it...arrived back at the Charvel/Jackson shop for 'repair'.

There really wasn't much left to repair. The guitar had already been abused before this latest incident, and had a rather large hole in the face near the volume knob. The impact of the recent 'toss' had carried away the whole lower bout and the neck was completely beyond repair. Still Chris loved the guitar so much....he INSISTED that the guitar be fixed. After some serious consideration Mike Shannon settled on a steel 'prosthesis' for the lower bout...pic below. Unreal.

...and of course it was fitted with a new neck ...this one a matching color regular pointy Jackson-logo'd neck...pic below

Chris arrived at the J/C shop to pick it up and it was being given a final setup when he arrived...when finished the J/C employee handed Chris the guitar and said "Here give it a run and see if It needs any adjustment...' Chris smiled a demonic smile and said 'Hey man, you work here and....this is what you were hired to do, so it must be perfect...right?'

P.S. As a side note...it is rumored that the Ibanez Destroyer that Ed Van Halen cut up into a kinda 'Star' shape and used on 'Women & Children First' originally belonged to Chris Holmes.
                Last edited by Hellraiser6502; 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM.
                Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Awesome.
                  >^v^<

Comment

I wouldn't go near that guitar without a hazmat suit

Comment

I saw Chris Holmes playing at The Galaxy Theater at last year's NAMM show. He was playing a Jackson and I couldn't believe he still existed after seeing that swimming pool scene in The Fall Of Western Civilization movie many years ago!
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

holy shit

Comment

Prosthesis for a guitar, AWESOME!
                          "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Great story! I was always inclined to think EVH's hacked up Destroyer was the inspiration for the J/C Star shape. I'm sure Ed would agree and that he should get a royalty for each one and Grover again ripped him off!
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Back in the days when you didn't have to worry about a lawsuit (or HR intervention) because you told it like it was & tried to make a point.
                              KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                              I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Holy crap Chris is still alive and playing.
                                KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                                I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                                X