Dowel-cutting drill bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dowel-cutting drill bit?

Ok, you know that drill bit that you cut doorknob holes with (that I can never remember the name of [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), well, do they make one kinda like that about 3/16" in diameter for cutting round dowels?

Other than that, know where one can find hard maple dowels?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Dowel-cutting drill bit?

A hole saw. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you have any wood craft stores near you, they would carry a bunch of different dowel sizes and wood types including maple. There are also a bunch of places on the internet to find them like this place. . You can buy a dowel cutter too. Most specialty wood working tool places should have them. Good luck!

Jim
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

All I got is Lowe's and Wal Mart and a dumpy little Ace Hardware.
      Thanks for the link.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Hmmm, after a quick check of the screw hols I gotta fill (neck bolts), it seems I need 1/8", which they don't have on that site [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

You should be able to find 1/8" diameter dowels at a decent hardware store. They may not be made of maple though. I bought some a whole back and I ended up getting them at True Value, I think since Home Dept didn't have them.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I have a similar thing I need to do.. I'm gonna see how much a local tech is gonna charge to fill'n'drill the holes, if I feel it's fair I'll just pay him to do it..
            otherwise I'll figure out how to dowel out the holes before I drill new ones myself... don't have my own drill but I can probably borrow one from work (bowling alley)

Comment

Hi NEWC, you could cut a piece of maple about 6mm square and place this in your drill press making sure it spins true then with a course sandpaper and block sand it until it is round and to the diameter you want and then cut it to size add glue and fit it in the hole you want to plug and there you have it. I have done this many a time with plugging trem post holes that have shot it and also where you convert a vintage style trem to a 2 post Floyd works a charm hope it helps. Kammo1

Comment

Find a woodworking store or a cabinet maker in the area.

Comment

Kammo made a DIY lathe.....nice!

Comment

No drill press. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I went to Lowe's and got a Poplar dowel. I had one from WallyWorld but don't know what it's made of.
                    Anyhoo, maybe it'll work with some Wood Glue.

I could do like that one guy on Ebay and drill out a 1/2" hole and drive a huge dowel in there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Its called a plug cutter. Vermont American makes them. I use them to make my own inlays.

Comment

Here is my 1/4" cutter I use to make Fender dots. Its cool to have as I get alot of hacked up single ply pickguards. I can use this to take an unuseable guard and make 100 or so dots.

Comment

Yeah I found one of those at Lowe's, but it's too big. I need smaller.

Newc

Comment

What you can do is make your own dowel making saw. Get some metal rod stock froma craft or hardware store with an inner hole size matching the size of the dowel you want to make. Then use a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel bit to create teeth on the bottom edge. File the teeth sharp, chuck it into your drill and start drilling. My teacher had a bunch he made by hand so we could make plugs out of rosewood, ebony, ash, etc..

Comment

Working...
                            X