How good are Crate Amps???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are Crate Amps???

What's up guys, I just wanted to know how good are Crate Amps compared to other companies (Marshall and Fender)??? How good is the GLX120, as from what I've read, they seem to be GREAT 120-watt amps with tons of effects, for under $500???

Re: How good are Crate Amps???

...that catch on fire.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc..

Is that Catch, or Get Set on Fire [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] HAHAHA!
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Whats the differnce as long as a crate is burning to the ground [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't listen To Newc. He's a pyro.
          I have used Crate amps for years. Everything from their VC508 and VC30 to the BV120 and their solid state stuff. Crate distortion is so popular and recognizable that it actually appears on several modeling amps. I have never had a problem with anything made in St. Louis, MO.

Comment

Pay no attention to the brand-name snobs. Crate actually makes some damn good stuff. Stay away from their early solid state stuff though, like the G600XL and whatnot, unless you like the sound of a nest of hornets on speed.

You're not getting Bogner tone with a Crate, but then again, you're paying a fifth of the price.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Honestly by far my 1st ??, ..2nd ???, ..3rd ?, 4th ?, 5th ?, ...maybe 6th ??...yeah 6th , 7th !!, hell why not 8th ??, scratch that ..it's the 9th!! , nope it's the 10th , ....ahhhh hell it's my 27th choice of a decent amp..could 28th choice ...

it's up there though ...for a good quality amp

have you ever tried the POD..???!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i cant say i like their solid state stuff, but the tube amps are quite good - remember what you pay for those thingys. the 120w tube head is actually surprisingly good imo. but the BIG one with 300w (or was it 350?) KILLS. REALLY loud, very versatile, and sounds really nice imho...you can buy another amp for what you've got to pay when changing power tubes, though ^^ i'm not sure but i can remember it having 8 12ax7 and 6 6550 tubes......thats right, six 6550s.....now thats power [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I've always thought the Blue Voodoo series was pretty good actually. Thats really the only amp from Crate's line I could recommend if Your looking to play out or with a drummer. Have never had a Solid State amp that could cut through in a band situation.

Comment

I played a Crate 2x12 combo a friend had in the early '90s. It was okay from what I remember, and it was solid state.
                    Can't recall if I've tried any of their other stuff.

Though, I do now own one of the new Crate compact 4x12 cabs with the metal speaker grill, and that thing sounds pretty good connected to either my Mesa F-30 combo or Fender RocPro 1000 head. I believe Stuka uses one of those cabinets with his 5150 head with great results, too.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think a lot of people, myself included base their opinions of Crate on early models that were imho very sub par, they get stereotyped when in all actuality, they MAY make a great amp that no one knows about...myself included.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

crate is grate!

hehheh, seriously though. they are a good cheaper amp.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I use the GFX1200H full stack. It's 120 watts and is LOUD. Cuts through with a drummer just fine. I like the tone. I would prefer a Blue Voodoo head but until I can afford one, the GFX is great. Can't beat it for the price.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Though, I do now own one of the new Crate compact 4x12 cabs with the metal speaker grill, and that thing sounds pretty good connected to either my Mesa F-30 combo or Fender RocPro 1000 head. I believe Stuka uses one of those cabinets with his 5150 head with great results, too.

[/ QUOTE ] I use two 4x12 Crate cabs with my 5150. They have a nice tone to them, to my ear. Mine don't have the metal grill. Mine are older and the grill is cloth and the logos were replaced with Marshall logos because I had a Valvestate 8100 head a couple years ago.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

i like the vc15, vc30 for low gain stuff.
                              it actually does a decent 80s tone with a distortion pedal in front of it.

but if you are looking for a solid state, i would go with peavey.

Comment

Working...
                              X