Kasha Rockmod II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kasha Rockmod II

Can anyone tell me about it. What tones can you get out of it? What preamps can you compare it to?

Where can you get one (outside of eBay)?

Thanks,

J

Re: Kasha Rockmod II

I have one. You can't get one new anymore. I believe they're long out of production (10 years or so?). They're three channels with sharded EQ between the crunch and lead channels. That's not a big deal because the lead channel has two pregain controls that will also help shape the EQ...it's hard to explain but pretty easy to do once you work with one for a short period.

The clean channel is great. It's by far the best clean I've ever heard form a stand alone preamp. You can get very Fenderish or get a darker thicker clean and it doesn't break up with high output humbuckers.

The crunch is classic high gain modified Marshallesque. It compared very well to my Soldano SP-77, but is a bit different. It does have a bit more gain I believe or is a bit more brutal...don't know the exact word to describe it. It's plenty for playing hard rock and metal.

The lead is aimed more at high mids focused lead sound. I don't like playing rhythm on it because it doesn't seem tight enough. The crunch is tight enough and high gain enough so I just use it for all rhythm and leave this channel dedicated just to leads. It does those very well. It has the fluid ease-of-play of the best Boogies but a bit more definition. I do find there's a weird transient to it for me, but it wasn't too bad to adjust to.

I used the Soldano SP-77 for several years and sold it after getting the Kasha. The Kasha clean is better (I like the SP-77s for what it is) especially if you want more of a Fender/classic clean. The SP-77 lacks the lead channel, the effects loop, the multiple outs, and the rear input which are all nice to have. I debate still whether I don't like the SP-77 crunch sound a little better for what I do or not.

I have some pics of the Kasha if anyone is interested:

http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/rstites/200211217.jpg

http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/rstites/200211218.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions. I think they're great. I am selling mine right now because I've decide to go away from the rack system for a while. Email me on it if you wish, though I believe it's sold.

Ross

Comment

Ross,

Thanks for the info. Keep me in mind if it doesn't sell.

Thanks,

J

Comment

As an aside, Ross I have a spare pot and knob from a Kasha Quick-Mod if you want it to include for the buyer. The knob is the exact same as the smaller ones on your preamp, so I'm sure the pot is too.
        Let me know and I'll mail it to you.

[ December 18, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Chuckracer ]

Comment

Chuck,

Thanks a bunch. I sent you an email. What is a Kasha Quick-Mod?

Ross

Comment

The Quick-Mod was the coolest little device made for MV marshalls not many people caught on to. Its a little half rack sized box that sits on top of your head with two 12AX7s in it. A cable comes out the back with the pins to plug directly into the first tube socket. The guitar plugs into the amp as usual and it adds two more gain stages. They screamed!

Comment

Do you still have one around? Got a pic? I have the Marshall 2204 I've been using. It'd be interesting to try one of these or the Soldano thing that was similar.

Ross

Comment

No, I don't have one anymore. I saw one on ebay about a year ago and posted a heads up here, but no one took the hint.
                Don't have any pics, either. Picture a black box about the sixe of a Rockman module with Pre and Post gain knobs on it. Thats it! They sound awesome. Its a Todd Langner design.

Comment

That sounds a lot like the lead channel of the Rockmod II. It has a pre and post gain on it, in addition to the normal volume for the channel. The two controls really shape the EQ of the signal as well as controlling the total gain. It's a little funky to get used to, but offers a lot of tonal variation.

Ross

Comment

It shipped out today. I did give him a check-out period on it during which he can return it for refund. That's the only way it'll be available. I'll let you know if he decides to return it.

Otherwise just keep an eye out an ebay and Harmony Central. I've seen 4-5 between the two places in the last 6-8 months.

Ross

Comment

Ross,

Checking in . . .

Did it sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                        Picture a black box about the size of a Rockman module
                        with Pre and Post gain knobs on it. Thats it!
                        They sound awesome. Its a Todd Langner design.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, it's not a Todd Langner design.

For some additional information, see this post here

Ultimatetone.com

Comment

Originally posted by rstites:
                          I have one. You can't get one new anymore. I believe they're long out of production (10 years or so?). They're three channels with sharded EQ between the crunch and lead channels. That's not a big deal because the lead channel has two pregain controls that will also help shape the EQ...it's hard to explain but pretty easy to do once you work with one for a short period.

The clean channel is great. It's by far the best clean I've ever heard form a stand alone preamp. You can get very Fenderish or get a darker thicker clean and it doesn't break up with high output humbuckers.

The crunch is classic high gain modified Marshallesque. It compared very well to my Soldano SP-77, but is a bit different. It does have a bit more gain I believe or is a bit more brutal...don't know the exact word to describe it. It's plenty for playing hard rock and metal.

The lead is aimed more at high mids focused lead sound. I don't like playing rhythm on it because it doesn't seem tight enough. The crunch is tight enough and high gain enough so I just use it for all rhythm and leave this channel dedicated just to leads. It does those very well. It has the fluid ease-of-play of the best Boogies but a bit more definition. I do find there's a weird transient to it for me, but it wasn't too bad to adjust to.

I used the Soldano SP-77 for several years and sold it after getting the Kasha. The Kasha clean is better (I like the SP-77s for what it is) especially if you want more of a Fender/classic clean. The SP-77 lacks the lead channel, the effects loop, the multiple outs, and the rear input which are all nice to have. I debate still whether I don't like the SP-77 crunch sound a little better for what I do or not.

I have some pics of the Kasha if anyone is interested:

http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/rstites/200211217.jpg

http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/rstites/200211218.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions. I think they're great. I am selling mine right now because I've decide to go away from the rack system for a while. Email me on it if you wish, though I believe it's sold.

Ross
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You somed it up pretty good rstites!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                          The Kasha Rock Mod II is the best tube pre amp you can buy out of all the ones on the market priced under $500.!!
                          Belive me guys, I've owned an ADA MP1,MP2,Kitty Hawk Qattro,Marshall 9000 series,Engl 520,Hafler Triple Giant and others and the Kasha Rockmod II has the best tone out of all of them hands down!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                          I use mine in a rack system with a Rockman midi octopus to switch the channels along with Rockman remote loop boxes to switch some pedals in and out of line, a reverb unit, into a delay unit split stereo into an Engl or Marshall power amp and into Marshall 4X12's [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I just wanted to note that it's very ironic that this post has come back when I'm actually around here again. (Note that the original thread is over a year old.) I've been absent from the JCF for around 6 months and have just been stopping in again lately.

I miss the Kasha. It was great. However, I'm glad I don't deal with a rack anymore. I'm still very content with a basic 1/2 stack.

Comment

Yeah, the Kasha was a pretty cool preamp. Ross got to check out mine - ironically, we were both using Soldano SP-77 preamps and Kasha's! It did have a sweet clean sound to be sure. I liked the fact that it had both pre and post gain. It gave you alot of tonal possibilities. That said, I'm also happy with my current setup - Line 6 Flextone III!

Comment

Working...
                              X