Framus Cobra - Any opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framus Cobra - Any opinions?

I've heard some pretty good things about the Cobras and I was wondering if any JCFers own one, at one time owned one, or have played through one. People have told me that the Cobra picks up where the Mesa Boogie Rectifiers left off, and does pretty much everything they can do at their absolute best but better / tighter / smoother.

The only gripes I've heard about the amp are that the effects loop isn't footswitchable, it doesn't get deafeningly loud, and the tolex isn't exactly the best. I've also heard rumors about their reliability (but never heard anyone specifically talking about how their Cobra broke down).

I tried searching but the Search function doesn't seem to be working properly / at all right now. It gives me some sort of weird error.

Re: Framus Cobra - Any opinions?

Have you checked the HCF forums? seems like a ton of people own them over there. The Clips sound badass...I would love to be able to try one out, but at the same time I am pretty happy with my Engl Fireball...

I saw Killswitch Engage a few months ago and I thought they had killer tone, although Josh's cobra crapped out on him before the show started ...Adam's seemed to be fine.

I know a great dealer in Florida if you wanna pull the trigger on one...

Comment

Yeah, I found a couple of decent clips on the HC forum.. I just avoided posting it there simply because there are so many trolls / morons on the amp forum (though, there are some knowledgeable and cool people, too).

I'm just thinking about dumping some amp gear and getting something else. I have a person in mind that I'm going to go with if I choose to buy a new Framus. I just wish I could try one out in person.

Comment

Try this site. They have some clips of the Cobra.

www.rocksolidamps.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Try this site. They have some clips of the Cobra.

www.rocksolidamps.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, some pretty good sounding stuff on there.

Anyone played one in person though?

Comment

I have a Cobra 1/2 stack.

It DOES NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM sound like a Recto. I had a Single Recto. I sold it to a good friend. We play together all the time. Honestly, the Recto sounds like complete warbly rumbly mud next to the Cobra. That's not just my opinion. I have heard musician and non musician friends say the same thing when they hear us play together. If you HAD to say, well does the Cobra sound more like a Marshall or a Recto, I'd say neither but it's CLOSER to a Recto but again, it's not like a Recto.

The tolex to me feels a little cheap. The cab easly gets impressions from the head's feet but it's nothing to cry about. The whole unit feels very soild. The knobs turn with east but feel very solid. The speaker jacks on the cab feel a little cheap, like the could be tighter. The jacks on my MXR EQ are so tight you can almost not get the cable out. The Cobra cab's jacks are not this tight.

Sound: Clean is SUPER clean and sparkly.

Crunch: GREAT for rhythm. You can have the gain and 1/2 and get a killer sound.

Lead: Squishier than the crunch.

All controls are responsive and not bewildering like the Mesa. They do what they're supposed to do.

As for not being loud...

With the notch switches on you will get a mid scoop and a perceived drop in volume. Just turn it up a bit more.

If you keep the channel masters under 75% then the amp will not seem too loud. You can have the global master up 1/2 way and you'll wonder why it's not Mesa loud. Now put a channel master past 75% and then you will for sure lower the global master. I found this out through a HC thread.

Almost everyone agrees the amp is biased cold from the factory, sometimes as low as 22. Most players who rebiased set it around 30-35 and say that makes a HUGE difference and gives it even more balls, and makes the bright switch on the clean channel more noticeable. The older ones don't have external bias adjustments, the new ones do have external bias probe slots and external bias trimpot.

Do a search on HC for Framus and read every single Cobra thread.

There's rumors of unreliability. One guy in Australia had a problem. And it might be Killswitch Engage or some other new band that's rumored to have problems but it has not been proven.

Listen to Derek's clips at rocksolidamps.com

He knows the amp inside and out and his recordings are faithful renditions. It's a tight amp and cuts through very well. I've become more fond of not using the notches.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I've had mine for a little over a year and have not regretted it one bit.

Comment

Sell me your Engl and buy the Cobra! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A member here owns Cobra...who was that?
              He has a matching cab and real cool BC Rich.

Comment

DOH!
                While I was typing my post,Venomboy came in.
                It was his gear I was talking about.
                [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Sell me your Engl and buy the Cobra! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Honestly, I might be the first person ever to utter these words, but the Powerball is just not for me. I've started to develop a love/hate relationship with my Powerball where some weeks I'll love the sounds and others I'll just cringe.. I love how it sounds alone, but I can't get into how it sounds live / with a full band. I might list it in the classifieds again in a couple of days.

And Venomboy, I'm gonna PM you with a couple of other questions.

Comment

I saw Lamb of God playing and Tampa a couple weeks ago. One of their guitarists was using Framus stacks. Hands down the best grind.

Comment

Framus Cobra:

Framus Cobra and BC Rich Widow:

Comment

I was torn between the Powerball and the Cobra and was not able to play either before getting one. I got a powerball at a good price... Was very happy always wondred though about the Cobra... @ NAMM I finally got to play it I personally much prefered the powerball to it. I would take the Framus over a boogie anyday but I would go Uber or Powerball over the framus myself personally.

That being said I just traded my powerball for a PITbull UL LOL
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

DAMN I love that widow!!!! My wife just got me a NJ Bich and I am really digging it (first Rich I have onwed actually) and I would love a USA Rich (No Roman Rich's though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The USA Rich's from 99-2001 are usually pretty good but try to play before you buy.

Comment

(putting on flamesuit...) Bill Leverty from Firehouse is a Framus endorsee these days. I got their last cd and while it was pretty good (if you're into them), the guitar tone on that album wass about the poorest I've heard from him, and he usually sounds good - but then again, "studio magic" could have screwed that up. It probably wasn't ever the Framus anyway... Why was I posting again? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'll go back to the retarded kingdom of Line 6 now... [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X